On Any Sunday

sendero

Thanks to ESPN Classics for reminding us from where we came, showing the world the greatest movie ever made, about the greatest sport in the world, enjoyed by the greatest people in the world.

Those of us that rode those motorcycles, in that era, enjoyed a very unique experience in life. Never again will it happen, but it is our duty to preserve it's gifts for the benefit of future generations.

I lump up and squirt 'em every time I see that flick.

Sendero

Sendero

I too can remember when Roger DeCosta was doing cross ups and not just a MX team manager. I grew up with pictures of Sammy M in Australasian Dirt Bike Mag. Just not sure if he was wearing a kilt and a tartan cap a the time......... Remember those old Bell full face helmets??? Looked like you were wearing an egg!

But still Raga, lampkin, fuji Gas and of course Nozaki amongst others ain't too bad to watch. Trouble is these days bikes are are a dirty word to the stick in the mud lifestylers in ths country. Just as well we have our memories!

BJDownunder

Sendero

Thanks for reminding us old buggers what a great time we had riding in the 70's - Bruce Brown really told the story of how it was. - Who can forget that famous Malcolm Smith smile and how he passed about 50 guys stuck in the mud hole ? - I even had one of those helmet peaks with the little mirrors each side that he wore at that time - Although I started riding in the Uk in 1954, my memories of the the early Canadian era are still vivid, and the mixture of bikes you saw on the start line of any Cross Country race were laughable by today's standards, but I still think everybody had more fun back then. - You " Run what ya brung" was the attitude and we sure did a lot of fixing on the trail.

The Trials scene had everything from Sachs engined Saricens, and early DT Yams to the "Trick" Sherpa "T". - Most people camped out and the kids all sat around the camp fire roasting marsh mellows. ( The REAL racers were usually busy trying to outdrink their buddies, while telling tales that even Bruce Brown would have appreciated)

Ah ! yes - long before Tree Huggers and a World full of terrorists - On Any Sunday tells it as it was, and in some ways, how I dearly wish it could be once again.

aye Outlaw Dave.

How many people, here, actually start humming the theme song to On Any Sunday at least once during a riding weekend campout?

:wall:

How about Steve McQueen and his complete defilation of the movie industry warnings not to ride?

YEAH!!!!!!

When you've got to ride, you've got to ride.

Hey Sendero, they still run that race in Lake Elsinore every year. Let's do it!!!

Brilliant, ageless movie for sure. I still love the scene with the tiny kid doing the huge wheelies back and forth past the camera...who can name him? :wall:

Edited by JTT

Sendero!!! Good to see your post. I remember when the movie first came out. About a dozen of us moto heads from Sedona, including my Dad, made the road trip down to the big city of Phoenix and decended onto the one and only theater in town that was playing On Any Sunday. Just this past weekend the Fuel Channel (skateboards and x sports) played it on back to back time slots. You guessed it, lazy ole Eric23 stayed out of the heat, and watched it twice. If those scenes of the Sacramento Mile and the desert race don't bring a lump to your throat, you should retire from this sport.