Brake Squeal

heffergm

Both my front and rear brakes squeal like stuck pigs. I've pulled the pads, sanded them down a bit, scuffed up the rotors, but it comes back pretty quickly. Is there a brand of pads I can try that might alleviate this? I only really care because I practice near neighbors, and I'd like to keep the annoying noise to a minimum.

Do your discs float? ie are they loose on the bolts. If so try putting some hylomar or similar gasket compound where the discs float on.

Try putting copaslip or anti squeal compound between the pistons and the back of the brake pads.

The rotors are mounted with several screws to the hubs, right? Remove the rotors, clean all the "teeth" on the rotor and hub, then put a bead of silicone seal on the "teeth" then reassemble. Let the sealant cure for a couple hours before riding.

The rotors are mounted with several screws to the hubs, right? Remove the rotors, clean all the "teeth" on the rotor and hub, then put a bead of silicone seal on the "teeth" then reassemble. Let the sealant cure for a couple hours before riding.

Worked for about 10 minutes of riding, now back to it's piggy self again.

Have you contaminated the pads and or disc with anything?

Are the brakes binding?

It's important there's a tiny amount of free play in the pins that operate the master cylinders, quite often owners over adjust them and cause the brakes to bind on.

When mine get a bit creaky, I run it up and down with the brakes on to generate heat in the discs, the wash them off with some clean water.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 1