Wheelie

jonny beta

4th gear, lift at the same time you rev and slip the clutch, feet on pegs(of course)bum in seat area????? well, where it should be, once up feel the best postion slipping clutch or using the throttle.

Try it, but don't blame me if you flip it!!!

Practice makes perfect,

Gassers are easy to do anything on.

What's the clutch slipping for?

Yes fourth gear

Yes feet on pegs

If you are doing the wheelie on the flat, rest your backside up against the rear guard high enough to get your toe low enough to touch the brake pedal.

If you are doing it uphill you can do without the rear brake.

When you are ready, maintain mid RPM and feed out the clutch to get the front up. Starting speed can be almost stopped. The slower the better for starting as you will accelerate as you bring the front wheel up under power.

As the front comes up, move you shoulders and head to one side so you can see where you are going, looking past the front wheel.

The lower you sit, the more vertical the balance point will be.

While the front wheel is still spinning you can get a strong steering effect by turning the bars opposite to the way you want the bike to turn.

Old twinshock bikes with a higher centre of gravity are the best to learn on because they are less vertical at the balance point and have higher seats. This makes them easier to steer during the wheelie.

Keep your torso and legs as still as possible.

Some people prefer to hold the inner section of the bars or the top of the left fork leg with their left hand once the bike is up to get their arm out of their field of view.

Back in my younger days I learnt to do sit down wheelies on a Honda XL 100 and in more recent times a 348 Monty trail. If you can get your hands on a bike with a seat it makes life much easier. The simple way to get it right for a novice is to put the bike into first, plant both feet on the ground and lift the front. Once you are moving hang on with your legs and drag your feet on the ground. This way you learn balance and thottle control without going over backwards. Steering is done by putting one foot down harder and leaning that way.

As time progresses you start putting your feet on the pegs. Once mastered in first or second gear you soon get the hang of it. I used to pick the wheel up un the old XL100 in first, change into second and finally 3rd and hold it there 1/2 a kilometre. I then moved over to road bikes except I used to bounce down on the seat at the end of a 2nd gear burnout to lift the front then kick into 3rd. Might be a different way than a trials rider learns but it worked for me!

BJDownunder

The way to do a sit down whellie is to sit at the back end of the seat area 1st gear slip the clutch to get it up then feel for the point were it's gunna flip and tap the back brake to bring it down a bit and so on. :wall:

Edited by 125 CREW !