what's up with Raga?

mattl

Adam Raga stated after he won his first WTC, 01 in Goldendale, how Doug Lampkin helped him so much, always had the time to offer help in spite of them being competitors, and how if he ever became World champ he would want to be just like Doug.

That all changed with the strike at the Spanish opener and not only was it a strike for most of the Spaniards, but some including Raga actually stood in the section trying to block Lampkin, Frexia, and the others from walking the damn sections!

Now ever since, Raga keeps slighting Doug with comments how his Championship wasn't just, and how Tarres is the greatest, not Doug, because for one thing Tarres was a flashier rider Raga says in the latest issue of SoloMoto. I know he's just a kid and all that, but he would always show a lot of class way beyond his years, until now.

There is no denying 7 straight championships earns Doug the title of greatest ever, and I'm sure Raga would have had his ass handed to him if he had of competed in the whole series strike or not.

But, If the kid is trying to motivate himself with these comments for next year, I'm sure he's shot himself in the foot by doing exactly what perhaps Doug may have needed to help motivate himself even further to break the all time record.

It's simple Matt, just compare the form.

At the end of his fifth full season of world competition Mr Raga has won four rounds.

At the end of his fifth full season of world competition Mr Lampkin had won two world outdoor championships and 31 rounds.

Today Mr Lampkin is just a few short of winning his 100th round and Mr Raga, is going on strike if he can't have his own way. :rolleyes:

Stood with Raga on the first day of Luxembourg WTC this year. I was videoing and he was doing the commentary on the riders for me. The video is actually quite cool ! He was pretty bitter about the suspension that day, you could see it in his face when I asked about it.

I think that it all comes down to mental toughness, DL is the master of this all the other guys are up and down 'like a bride's nightee'. especially Cabestany. Fuji is the next best but he can still throw in a 10th place if he really tries.

All the fuss around the Spanish Champs can't have helped his season, another case of politics ruining a days sport.

Hi all,

I have never liked Raga ever since I witnessed him at an event trying to coerse other riders into moving some rocks.......just so he wouldn't get caught himself (allegedly). He's out for himself and himself only.....and what comes out his gob doesn't resemble what he's really thinking or planning in my opinion. A shame, coz he is a really talented rider.......he's just missing one or two things that right now is stopping him take on Doug and co good and proper.

Now, compare Doug; 7 world outdoor titles......and in his dad's own words many years ago when he rode Beta "the best head on any trials rider I've ever seen".

Ian.

I could understand Raga being bitter IF they were not warned of what was going to happen if they did strike. But, not only were they clearly warned by the Spanish Federation they would be suspended, they were also told that if their Spanish licences were revoked, that would mean they would not have a valid licence to compete in the WTCs as well, so they got exactly what they deserved, and have a lot of nerve to even mention being bitter, because what all of them should be is ashamed of what trouble they caused for the organizers of the events, the spectators that were looking forward to all the top riders, and the battle that would have been for the championship, which was going to be like a second WTC, the other riders who didn't strike, the people working for the federations involved, both with the RFME and the FIM, the factories, and the sponsors.

The worst part is the damage done to the sport at a time when the WTC really needs positive exposure, more entries, and more important more sponsors!

It's also upseting the way GasGas handled the situation because they should have had more control over their top riders, as Montesa did. Miguel Cirera told Frexia he was under contract not to strike and if he did his contract was null and void, not to even think about it, or he'd be booted off the team. That's what should have been told to Raga, colomer, and Fajardo, but then GasGas blamed everyone else just as their riders did.

Raga did well at the end of the year when the events were on dry terrain, just as he likes and with no pressure, so lets see how well he does next year, especially since he's really p****d off Lampkin, and I think that's exactly what he should'nt have done.

Now, compare Doug; 7 world outdoor titles......and in his dad's own words many years ago when he rode Beta "the best head on any trials rider I've ever seen".

Ian.

HRC2002

If we had Colley back my wife would misquote Doug's dad and say

"the best bum on any trials rider I've ever seen"

She's lost interest since Steve disappeared and I'm afraid I just don't match up. :rolleyes:

Ian.

HRC2002

If we had Colley back my wife would misquote Doug's dad and say

"the best bum on any trials rider I've ever seen"

She's lost interest since Steve disappeared and I'm afraid I just don't match up. :rolleyes:

I'm in regular contact with Brian (Steve's dad)......I'll pass on the message.

Ian.

Yep, this weeks tmx news says:

"Steve Colley has recently signed a new contract with the GasGas factory in Gerona and will be again contesting the World Trials Championship - despite semi-retiring at the start of 2003!"

• 2 weeks later...
mouth lately the more i go off of him as a person. I don't remember Tarres doing that, his riding spoke for itself... has anyone asked Tarres what he thinks of these comments, i know he would be diplomatic but i can't believe he would go along with them.

Ok,just did - whether he replies is another matter...

Kevin.

Hi, shall I tell you why *I* (..) think Raga's a bit p****d off about what's happened this year & other comments...

I think that he went to the UK at the request of GasGas who realised that, as that stage of his career, he needed the exposure to Dougie (& others)and different conditions - nothing more than a training exercise for him. He was not interested in fighting for points or placings as such and would no doubt have been happy just to have been there.

I think that Adam and other spanish riders regard Honda's move of getting Dougie to do the spanish championship as taking money (i.e. income.) away from a Spanish rider that would have competed had Dougie not been there.

I think that Raga has no problem with Dougie being in the spanish championship "per se", just not getting points/placings.

I think that Raga has been told/taught by Jordi Tarres not to talk in the press, but following some previous article (also in SoloMoto) where Dougie "gave" his opinion on various matters & riders, Adam probably felt somewhat provoked to give his - something that he doesn't normally do. (and I'm sure he's regretting already....)

Hope that helps :-)

Kevin.

plus, what the press actually print is not always what was said, or in the correct context!!

I think that's really the key. Taken out of context, things sound much worse than intended...of course that's what keeps the tabloids in business (and much of the motorcycling press).

Thanks for the open minded perspective FZ.

I like (but not in a gay way :P ) riders with positive personalities and attitudes personally, but it's hard to judge strictly from the press.

Hi, shall I tell you why *I* (..) think Raga's a bit p****d off about what's happened this year & other comments...

I think that he went to the UK at the request of GasGas who realised that, as that stage of his career, he needed the exposure to Dougie (& others)and different conditions - nothing more than a training exercise for him. He was not interested in fighting for points or placings as such and would no doubt have been happy just to have been there.

I think that Adam and other spanish riders regard Honda's move of getting Dougie to do the spanish championship as taking money (i.e. income.) away from a Spanish rider that would have competed had Dougie not been there.

I think that Raga has no problem with Dougie being in the spanish championship "per se", just not getting points/placings.

I think that Raga has been told/taught by Jordi Tarres not to talk in the press, but following some previous article (also in SoloMoto) where Dougie "gave" his opinion on various matters & riders, Adam probably felt somewhat provoked to give his - something that he doesn't normally do. (and I'm sure he's regretting already....)

Hope that helps :-)

Kevin.

I think those are good thoughts but would suggest that the mention of Honda's decision isn't accurate because Honda had nothing to do with Lampkin, Fuji, and Jarvis getting licenses for the spanish title, those riders were there for the best possible training for the WTC, they stated as such, and it was their own decisons. It wasn't just Lampkin being there that caused the Spanish riders to strike it was all three that put them over the edge. Also, Lampkin Fujigas and Frexia are in the Montesa-HRC team which is run by the Montesa racing dept., not Honda.

I just think with the help Lampkin has given Raga since he started riding the WTC the comments he made were very disrepectfull, especially since he has always been so gratefull to him in the past, and had always shown such class. you have to read the entire article from the magazine not just what was put online.

With Cabestany claiming the Spanish indoor championship a week or so back, Raga is getting to the point where he will have to produce the goods this year in the outdoor championship, or I see some other rider taking the number one slot at GG, excuses carry little weight in any sport, and the truth is your only as good as your last performance.