250Cc Vs 280Cc?

sawtooth

Currently riding an '04 280cc, love the snappiness of the engine and the power curve. Want a newer bike this winter which will either be an '11 EVO or an '11 GasGas. I'm leaning towards the GasGas as I'm really at home on mine so the question is, if I dropped down to a 250cc will I loose the snap and power of the 280cc?

Would a newer 2011 250cc be anything like my older 280cc? Just want to know what I need to be looking for as a 250cc might come up at a good price etc. I'm quite determined though so if it's a 280cc I need then that's what I'll get.

Edited by sawtooth

I have never ridden a 280 gasser but the old JTR 330s were pretty snappy and perhaps over powerful for the average rider.

I often wonder how many riders ride a bike that is really too powerful. Loss of grip is perhaps the most frequent way of loosing marks, the more powerful the bike the harder you have to work to ride it to get a good result.

It is pretty obvious when marks are lost due to lack of power. It is much less obvious the marks saved by less power and less rider fatigue.

I suspect that 90% of riders would be better on softly tuned 200s or 250s.

I have never ridden a 280 gasser but the old JTR 330s were pretty snappy and perhaps over powerful for the average rider.

I often wonder how many riders ride a bike that is really too powerful. Loss of grip is perhaps the most frequent way of loosing marks, the more powerful the bike the harder you have to work to ride it to get a good result.

It is pretty obvious when marks are lost due to lack of power. It is much less obvious the marks saved by less power and less rider fatigue.

I suspect that 90% of riders would be better on softly tuned 200s or 250s.

As above I'm fine on the 280cc, I want to know how the 280 & 250 differ?

The two main differences I found when changing from a 250 to 280 where - 1. the 280 was 'snapier' i.e. it comes on more quickly and more strongly when you wind on the throttle and 2. the 280 has more torque low down which means you can lug it at lower revs without stalling. All in all I won't be going back to a 250. Hope this helps. Cheers Paul Mac