Help With Bike Choice

fatty

Hi all,

Sure this questions has been asked a million times on here but here we go any way.

Got a beta 250 techno to try trials and really enjoy so now want to upgrade my bike. I think I have narrowed it down to a choice of three but just can't decide

Beta evo 250

Beta evo 300. 4T

4RT

Any ideas ? I am really torn as I love the sound of the 4 strokes but wonder if I would gain more from the 2 T in terms of experience

Help !

Thanks Fatty

Opening a can of worms here Fatty!

I can really comment as I've only ever been on 4 strokes and only this year for trials machines.

What I can comment on the reliability of the Beta 4T and the Montesa 4RT. Both have been great machines so far but only ridden by novices not pushed hard like an A grader would.

The Beta 4T carb to inlet manifold rubber mount split but I'm pretty sure it was me tightening the skinny clamps too far that did it. I have now fixed the issue with a new rubber and wider clamps with infill rubbers in the grooves. Done!

Have a grabby front brake on the Beta now but its intermittent and a strip and clean of the master didn't fix it so its a caliper thing for sure. Next on the list. I do prefer the Braketec brakes on the Monty verses the Grimeca on the Beta.

No leaky fork seals on either yet. Original chains and sprockets still. Spokes are ok and not loosening at all. Original tyres on each of course. Neither use oil between services. Beta has combined gearbox/motor oil.... Monty has separate gearbox oil to motor and you have to pull left hand side cover to replace filter. No biggie really.

About 15 hrs on the Monty and 45hrs on the Beta. We are very happy with both. We went 4 stroke because they are much quieter too ride around the house and not annoy neighbours as we learn.

Your issue may be more clear if you could get to ride them?

Mags

I don't know where you are located. I suggest you get to a trial or two and talk with people, look at the bikes and see if you can get some short rides on various bikes. Just this last weekend, there was a new guy and he got to ride a Sherco 280, a GasGas 250 and a Montesa 4RT. They all ride well, but very differently.

The Sherco and GasGas are 2 stroke and the Montesa is a 4 stroke. The 2005 Montesa 4RT is mine. I have had it only about a year and have put over 60 hours on it. The bike has been pretty much flawless. Ride, wash and park. I just had to do front brake pads.

welcome fatty, you'll have a great time no matter what you ride. i'm still relatively new so would only pass on what the experienced riders have told me in the past... some of this, er.. wisdom, has been put into a "getting into trials?" page on our club's website that might be handy.

see if you can get a bit of a test ride on each. any bike will be great and it will take you a long time, if ever, to find the limits of what each model can do. except for one or two exceptions (certain ossa gearboxes?)

the later models are all very refined beasts and have no glaring issues you would have to worry about.

personally i've got a beta 300 four stroke which has been great. even the two stroke die hards who have had a ride admitted they quite liked it... mellow response is great for beginners but plenty of grunt if you give it a handful. and i love the engine braking, especially because i'm crap at covering the rear brake in some techniques, hehe!

O.k could not help my self :D Look for two wheels a engine, forks etc. Sorry!

On a serious note i would just look for a clean bike that has not had too many owners, may be some one who has had the bike from new would be the ideal seller, service history, bills for parts fitted etc.

cheers

John.

I have not worn out a trials motorcycle (yet) but have experience with other types and they would be similar.

General marks will give you a fair indication of condition. Look under bash plate. Are the cases marked badly? Scrapes and rubs on frame, forks, swing arm. Chunks out of wheels or bad scrapes or rock marks.

For wear checks on frame components....

Put bike on stand, grab forks with both hands and push/pull to feel any play in head stem bearings. Rotate bars slowly full left/right and feel for any roughness. If bike is on ground you can place fingers on head stem/handlebar collar and hold front brake on, push bike forward and back with brake on a feel for play at head stem.

Look at fork seals for leaks. Hold brake on compress forks and feel its smooth operation.

If bike is on stand with wheels off ground check both brakes for smooth operation and that they release wheel back to freewheel (no drag). If callipers not shielded check for brake pad wear. Look at brake discs for significant marking or wear.

Move back wheel in up down motion and feel for play (wear) in rear shock bushes. Move wheel side to side to feel for play (wear) in swing arm bushes.

Spin wheels and check "true". Place thumb on swing arm for reference and spin wheel with 2mm gap from thumb to wheel rim, shouldn't wobble too much. Spin wheels and let finger nails run over spokes you will soon hear a loose one or one with significant lower pitch. I use a spoke torque wrench to check mine and keep an eye on wheel running true.

Sprocket and chain wear check. Throttle operation smoothness. Cold start ease.

The motor is a little difficult to check without at least a compression check. You can hear any top end noise (valve clearance) and you can have a bit of clutch basket rumble that quietens a little when clutch in.

Riding it would be a better check of engine and gearbox. Go through all gears and feel change smoothness. The Honda motor is pretty tough and long lived from what I can gather on forums. One in New Zealand has 700 hrs on original rings and piston.

Good luck in your quest! Some pics when you score one, please!

Mags

Hi All

Thanks for all your comments.

I am pleased to say that I went to look at an 06 4RT on Sunday and have now picked it up.

Not loads of history with it but it is extremely clean and recently had wheel bearings, oil change, and valves adjusted ( by Honda dealer )

Tyres are ok and body work is 100 %

It started 1 kick and the fan cuts in fine

Sounds lovely when you blip the throttle and clutch seems ok

Even got two spare rear mudguards with it.

Not had a chance to ride it yet but will get out on Saturday for a play.

The only thing I have noticed is that the top end is a little bit noisy but having never been around one not sure if this is right or wrong

Will report back after weekend

Thanks

• Like 2

hey mags, nice write up. would you mind if i threw some of that on the "buying a trials bike" page of our website, crediting you for the info?

No need to credit me. I was just thinking out loud really... it would have to be cleaned up a bit before using? Feel free to use any of it...

Mags