Cant Get The Front Axle Out To Replace The Bearings

scorpatic

Only after ramming a rock step on a Bultaco which kinked the front spindle. Had to drop the forks out of the yokes then screw the leg off the spindle then cut the spindle off with angle grinder.

OUCH !!!! and then buy a new rim too ?

No the front rim was OK, just a shade bent.

What happened was I pulled back on the bars to wheelie at the rock step and the handlebar snapped off at the clamp (no handle bar braces in those days). I then put one half of the handlebar in each clamp to ride back to the start (quite a few miles) only to find front tyre went flat. Then had to drop forks out of yokes to change the inner tube, as I could not remove the bent spindle with the tools in my bum bag.

Hi guys, I had the same problem with my spindle when attempting to change the wheel bearings

It was rusted solid to the wheel bearings and required a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer and punch. Once cleaned and lubed it was fine.

• 1 month later...

Yep got it sorted at last. Laid the bike completely flat on a supporting piece of wood (just happened to the the wives teak sun lounger but hell, needs must) and with the fork fully supported I used a sledgehammer and gave it a serious tonk. It was seized inside through corrosion and came out fairly easily after that. Packed in a new one with mucho grease. Sadly the teak sun lounger wasn't as strong as it might have been and got a bit broken. "All that wine must have corroded the slats" I said. In hindsight lighthearted may not have been the way to go. But the bike is fixed, so what more can she want!? Ive put the lounger out on the street for anyone to take away as its just upsetting her now.

Sadly some people never look on the bright side.

• Like 1