Sherco 250 Vs 290

5again

Which is best for an experienced but feetup challenged over 40, thinking of going for a used '03.

I would normally always go for a 250 (always have with gassers) but everybody seems to be on 290's, and there is more for sale in TMX - have heard it said the 290 is the easier to ride, smoother, torquier of the two, but the last thing I need is a to be hanging on to a fire cracker !

Anybody got first hand experience of a comparison ? - mostly ride on good ole south of england mud, clay and chalk, no rocks (thank goodness!)

I think you've got to try them yourself before you buy.

I've got the 04 290 and I absolutely love it (Had the 280 GasGas previously).

The 290 certainly has similar power to the Gasser - which can be enough to rip your arms off if you let it.

I've ridden the 250 and it did seem to have a little less torque, but to be honest I think I could quite happily manage with one.

I'm probably one of the larger riders in the expert class (to say the least) so I like a bit of grunt there when I need it.

Even though the 200 was billed as the perfect clubman bike, I've not seen anyone on one yet. Maybe people think they need more than they do.

I think no matter what anyone says you could do with trying both (or all three). I know at our club trials no-one would mind you asking for a ride if you're thinking of buying.

Good Luck

Thanks guys, was leaning toward the 250, but will try and cadge a quick go on each if poss as suggested.

Bikespace, was there anything in particular that made you switch from the gasser to the sherco, thought the 280 pro the perfect expert mount ?

got both prefer 290, slower off bottom end much more torque if you roll off throttle and come back on . ride both they are very different. had a pro ;) air fiter maintenace is much easier on sherco ,and you dont need an aquavac :wacko:

290 250 200 all have the same frame etc. so grip will be the same.

B) ... not if the power is easier to control.

I've got to agree with Nigel. The grip is going to be no different. Clutch/throttle control is the key. Just because the power's there, you don't have to use it all the time.

If you think you may not be able to control the power, then the 200 may stop you losing it, but I think it can work the other way.

On a 290 I could leave it in third, (taking the kick out of it) and wind it on up a hill from low revs. Gives you the power to wind it on more while you're geting the grip and coast over the slippy bits.

With a 200 (at my weight anyway) on the same hill I may have to leave it in second and wind it on earlier.

The low down grunt of the 290 doesn't mean lack of control, unless you let the bike take over, which I suppose is more possible if you're tired, which I suppose can be more likely for Novice riders.

My two penneth..

So why would you bother repacking silencers etc? Just to make it sound nice?

If traction is marginal a less powerful, smoother and yes, easier bike to ride will break traction later.

A 280 Aprilia engine in a Sherco frame will simply NOT grip the same as even a 290 Sherco engine for example.

I do get the feeling that we will not agree on this however long the thread goes. B)

Repacking of silencers you've lost me there.

I can see what you are trying to say but think you need to consider what I'm driving at.

Grip is the same.

Traction is the ability to put power down, through the grip.

Traction is controlled by rider imput, grip and power, probably in that order.

For example when we do training with the yonuger lads in our club (bearing in mind we are south midland centre) I sometimes find rider position either too far forward to get grip or too stagnent in one position. We use an exaggerated weight back position to find extra traction.

The results of this can be staggeringly effective and an eye opener for the influence of body position on traction.

A 250 Sherco has always been a snappier engine so generally will lose traction easier than a more pwerful 290, the power is different, grip the same.

Regardless of the above as it is probably grammatical semantics, there are many cases where a more pwerful motor is of benefit where a 200 lets you down.

Any help?

If trials was simply a matter of grip we would all be riding those massive swinging armed hillclimbing things footpegs on the rear wheel spindle with 200 engines.

It isn't we aren't.