Don Smith, Steve Saunders And John Hulme.

henderpump

1 hour ago, Manicmonday said:

Quite a story, what happened in the end? Did the book get pulled from sale?

No you can still buy new copies today. and its author still works on his monthly magazine 'Trials' .

18 hours ago, Manicmonday said:

Quite a story, what happened in the end? Did the book get pulled from sale?

I would have thought that a book that was plagiarised would have to have been removed from sale? Strange!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody, Henderpump here, Ive lost the password for this forum, it's been a while, so I am posting as a visitor.

Well, well, the power of the press! "There's been movement at the station for the word has got about" to paraphrase Banjo Patterson

Yes, the book in question is still in-print and available.

Apparently, and it is a matter of public record,  That one of John Hulme's publishing businesses (I am making an assumption that he was the owner/proprietor, so I stand to be corrected on that score) has been wound up owing several tens of thousands of pounds, all information available from companies house.

A regretful outcome, I would not wish it on anybody, but maybe a marker for future reference.

I understand, and again, I stand to be corrected, that John sold some titles he owned to another publisher and is now employed on contract as an editor of this new publisher's "Trials" magazine.

Whatever else you or I may think of John Hulme, and his general conduct, the two magazines he put out, all the books, yes, including the dreaded Saunders book that contains the plagiarised parts, were quality items, good pictures, good articles and informative event reports. 

All were good publications. They were easily good enough to stand on their own merits, and it's just a pity that John Hulme lost his way, got greedy, and was tempted by the easy path of lifting another author's work.

We can but hope that John does better work in his new job, without being tempted back over to the Dark Side

Just to be clear, John compounded the original error of plagiarism of Don Smith's work, in the Saunders book, by not crediting said author, and then trying to wriggle out of it when I called him on it.

All he had to do, when questioned was say,"yes its stuff-up, I'm fixing it" Instead he tried to fob me off with bullsh*t about him considering the matter closed, and then, when pressed further, threatening me with legal action, because HE felt threatened, and when I gave that short shrift, he came up with the story that Don Smith said it was all right. Even if John Hulme was good at reading a ouija board, he still should have credited Don In the extensive thanks section in the back of the book.

I have repeated my question to Steve Saunders as to whether or not Steve should refund the purchase price of the book plus postage back to the UK from Australia, and await developments with bated breath!

I rather hope Steve repeats his opinion that he did not feel it to be appropriate, because it is a cracking read, and deserves a place on any trials enthusiasts book shelf, and I'd like to keep it

Much fun, I must say! 

best regards,

Joe Henderson