Torque Levels

elliotsdaddy

Axulsuv, Unfortunately as an American you are probably unable to watch the Guy Martin Program. You would be better to reserve comment until you had seen the program.

Guy Martin is a brilliant road racer, excellent TV presenter and thoroughly nice straightforward bloke.

For anybody interested in engineering the spitfire rebuild was fascinating.

Some time ago I spent a very enjoyable day at the Former Warbirds museum in Kissimmee, chatting to the owner and fitters as they riveted and wired aircraft.

Anyway going to log off now, watching Memphis Belle. My school teacher worked on an American UK Airbase in WW2 and at times had the unpleasant task of cleaning the remains of aircrew out of B17s after daylight raids. In some cases so little of turret gunners bodies was left all that could be done was to hose he remains out.

• Like 1

Most torque spec's are given for clean dry fasteners , unless specified ... (aka most auto head bolts )

Glenn

And some cases a quick cleaning of the threads involved , light tap or die run , will give a much more accurate torque reading and clamping force .

And yes my wrists click ..... :)

Glenn

And Mags , added on edit , Your explanation was superb ! for explaining why guys like you , me and copey and lineaway have way to much money invested in tools ... Right the first time is all that works . And Dadof2 ... too

Your wrists click? Try using air tools man! You are old now!

If some of these folks think one can even access many areas with torque wrench, I hate to inform them they are sadly mistaken.

When I had my first motorcycle, I was only 11 and could barely afford tools. One thing I did have was a 1/2 inch drive power bar that had a hole through the handle exactly 1 ft from where the socket fitted. I bought a small spring balance (the sort fishermen use) and used to hook it in the hole in the power bar to pull it round the right torque in ftlbs.

I can't remember price of spring balance but it was a fraction of price of torque wrench and I still have it.