Is Being A Heavier Rider An Advantage?

fivebrick

My NY resolution is to lose 35-40 lbs and I expect this to help me a bunch this season.

Good luck, hope you are able to lose the weight, but don't just leave it laying around for me to find. I have enough of my own that I need to lose..........

OK let's say equal skill level. we will go with same person, two versions. version one: healthy skinny 170 lbs. very flexible, nimble and able to move around the bike easily.

version two: healthy, muscular 220 lbs. very strong, able to "make" bike go where they want it to.

I guess you just need to ride according to you body style??

• Like 1

Whats a lineman?

Does this have any relevance to trials?

You got me there Nigel, my feeble attempt at an example that failed miserably. Was just trying to point out that in almost all athletics the athlete with the better body composition is the better athlete.

Which would be easier to push up hill or to stop going down hill.... ?

i) a car with an empty fuel tank

ii) a car with an full fuel tank

simples :)

Yes! But if you were driving up a very slippery hill wouldn't you want a heavy load in the boot/trunk?

Edited by fivebrick

There are exceptions, but it seems to me that most of the world champions in all the two wheeled sports are of a slender build. There's a reason it's called an athletic build. For your average riders, I would hazard a guess that skill and determination trump weight any day.

When we started trials back in January this year I was 210lbs... today I am 178lbs!!! Massive change losing 32lbs.

Cant believe the difference it makes... sleeping better, mild snoring has gone completely according to my wife, much fitter with resting heart rate at 55 and BP normal.

The general, much better feeling of well being has transferred to the bike with longer sessions before tiring.

Another 10lbs to go and more weight training and I'm a happy chappy fanging around on my motorcycles.

Mags

• Like 2

There are exceptions, but it seems to me that most of the world champions in all the two wheeled sports are of a slender build. There's a reason it's called an athletic build. For your average riders, I would hazard a guess that skill and determination trump weight any day.

Well I am totally screwed then...........got the weight, and no skill.............determination is dependent on how I feel about getting a 3 or a 5

:chairfall:

• Like 2

Well I am totally screwed then...........got the weight, and no skill.............determination is dependent on how I feel about getting a 3 or a 5

:chairfall:

lol, i got the mind of a 20 year old and the body of an 80 year old. i look at all sections like i can clean it and then wind up in a big old pile at some point and really sore the next day wishing i wouldn't have tried that!

rob

• Like 3

Outside-2.jpg

Probably more to do with racing being a whole lot of cardio rather than any advantage.

Plenty of large riders have done well in mx that I can think of; smets, martens, bell, button, lawrence, dedycker, dessalle

Thats funny, i was thinking of a football player as a lineman... Maybe thats a linebacker. Obviously not my sport.. Now motogp... That i can talk about

Yes! But if you were driving up a very slippery hill wouldn't you want a heavy load in the boot/trunk?

No Fivebrick. The last thing I would want to do is add MORE weight. I would want to move some of the weight I already have over the driving wheels