First Time Blue Route

hrmad

So glad you had fun ! :) And remember in mud either fast or slow ,it's all about were your weight is ... (sorta ). In muddy climbs I tend to use inertia if possible , or you learn how to keep your forks lightly extended and the back planted . takes time to get down and every bike is different . My trusty old 240 pro gets phenomenal traction , (to the discern of a few modern guys :) ). my section I haven't gotten used to at all yet , but it feels good too .

Just wait till you do a dry event and traction is easy , you'll love it even more . just remember always stay hydrated and relaxed , Breath deeeep and slow before you enter the section and don't stop breathing when your in it either ! holding your breath is a MISTAKE !

Cheers !

Glenn

I know what you mean about the mud. It was a slow crawl in the sections in 1st and 4th/5th gear between them! I definitely need to lean back more I think to get traction on the rear wheel, just need to be able to manage any resulting wheelies. Thanks for your advice. I was very impressed by the guys TY 175s, they were trick bikes. And very different bikes too. One had a quick action throttle, the other a slow action. One had sharp brakes, the other one had them into the handlebar. The guys had lengthened the swing arms, put the foot pegs lower and further back, put 250 forks on one, gasgas forks on the other. One bike had won the Welsh twinshock trials championship a few times. I have more respect for twin shocks now, in traditional muddy trials they shine :)

Well done and the photos are great.

I'm based in Lancashire so quite a way from you. I'm going to watch tomorrow. This was advised by Hillary. I'd rather just have a go but I've no bike transport yet so I'm confined to my own back yard at the moment anyway. :(

Glad you had fun and completed the laps.

Lou

Thanks :) shame about the distance, maybe we'll meet in a trial someday somewhere :) I think watching is a good idea, trials looks easy but it's seriously not. I'm glad I practised for 4 months, I was better prepared. Also by watching you can get a sense of the difficulty level set up by that club. Plus you're not used to your bike yet, when the bike is set up for you it makes a world of difference.

Glad it all went well for you and most importantly - you had fun and want to do it all again.

My brother-in-law and myself have our first event tomorrow - mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation. since getting our bikes we've only been out 4 times (2 hours each time) but we've decided to take the plunge with the aim first and foremost of enjoying ourselves.

I have to thank everyone on this forum for the many helpful posts and tips.

Will hopefully have some feedback tomorrow evening - don't know who's gonna be able to take photos though!

• Like 1

Thanks Fivebrick :D

Glad it all went well for you and most importantly - you had fun and want to do it all again.

My brother-in-law and myself have our first event tomorrow - mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation. since getting our bikes we've only been out 4 times (2 hours each time) but we've decided to take the plunge with the aim first and foremost of enjoying ourselves.

I have to thank everyone on this forum for the many helpful posts and tips.

Will hopefully have some feedback tomorrow evening - don't know who's gonna be able to take photos though!

Thanks, I'm glad I had the practice I did though, is it a wobblers/ beginners trial? Might seem a bit full on after only 8 hours, try your best, do what you can and don't be embarrassed to ask for a 5 if the section is too hard. And have an escape route/ place to bail if all goes to pot. Have fun and please do post how you guys get on :)

Well what a day we had on Saturday. Huge entry of 159 split between grades A B C & Youth.

I have to say the sections were much easier than I was expecting so there was no nasty / intimidating / dangerous stuff, which made it all great fun, especially for us beginners.

4 laps of 10 well spread out sections. We arrived at 10am for an 11am start. After a lengthy queue for signing on (where we were made feel most welcome), there was a lot of waiting around, warming up, practicing, and it could be argued general time wasting. We didn't realise we could have been off to section 1 long before we did.

Now I don't want this to sound like a moan but there was only two things all day I didn't enjoy; 1 The wait at some of the sections was very lengthy. I suppose this was largely due to the size of the entry, a victim of its own success if you like, and 2, The guys who were jumping the queue and pushing in.

I did manage to get all 4 laps completed, though my brother-in-law only managed 3 - partly due to how slow it was with the waiting, and partly due to fatigue.

At the end of the day we were there first and foremost for a fun day out and it didn't really matter about scores. Having said that it was a pleasant surprise to complete the whole trial with a loss of just 12 marks, and no 5's.

As you can imagine, we now can't wait for our next outing.

• Like 1

Well what a day we had on Saturday. Huge entry of 159 split between grades A B C & Youth.

I have to say the sections were much easier than I was expecting so there was no nasty / intimidating / dangerous stuff, which made it all great fun, especially for us beginners.

4 laps of 10 well spread out sections. We arrived at 10am for an 11am start. After a lengthy queue for signing on (where we were made feel most welcome), there was a lot of waiting around, warming up, practicing, and it could be argued general time wasting. We didn't realise we could have been off to section 1 long before we did.

Now I don't want this to sound like a moan but there was only two things all day I didn't enjoy; 1 The wait at some of the sections was very lengthy. I suppose this was largely due to the size of the entry, a victim of its own success if you like, and 2, The guys who were jumping the queue and pushing in.

I did manage to get all 4 laps completed, though my brother-in-law only managed 3 - partly due to how slow it was with the waiting, and partly due to fatigue.

At the end of the day we were there first and foremost for a fun day out and it didn't really matter about scores. Having said that it was a pleasant surprise to complete the whole trial with a loss of just 12 marks, and no 5's.

Well done! Glad you had a good day, your score is much better than mine! I fived at least 4 sections per lap, so bound to be up in the fifties- I just couldn't get up banks with all the mud and roots- I wasn't the only one struggling though! The trial was set up by a former twin shock champion/ red route rider so maybe that was why the blue route had some hard sections. Fair play to you, bound to be muddy where you are too right?

At the trial I went to we had 60 entrants, blue or beginner route started at section 1, clubman and experts started their loop at section 5. A good plan as it reduced the ques a lot. 159 is a great turnout! Most people are pretty friendly right? :D didn't have too much of a problem in the que, people were really polite and sometimes let me go first.

Convince a family member to go along with a camera next time :) photos are a nice record

Heres a few more pictures I didn't include last time, as you can see, between the sections was difficult too! Just couldn't get up some of those banks, I know they don't look that hard in photos, but they were tricky for me!

post-20468-0-13485800-1420465212_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-74102100-1420465225_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-80870900-1420465238_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-77387900-1420465255_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-52540300-1420465266_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-93493900-1420465277_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-23976400-1420465288_thumb.jpg

A good trick for queue jumpers and those who like to sit revving the bike up in a queue smoking everyone out, reach over and tap the gear lever into 1st for them with your foot preferably when they're at peak throttle, fun for all the family.

• Like 1

I've been away on holidays with family for two weeks or so....

Well done Heather! Very well done! Be very proud... its not easy and takes dedication as we all know! I've shown my girls all your vids and its inspiring them quite a bit... just need that final nudge to get them on the trials bikes! They'll get there this year I hope!

Great pics by the way...

Mags

• Like 2

I've been away on holidays with family for two weeks or so....

Well done Heather! Very well done! Be very proud... its not easy and takes dedication as we all know! I've shown my girls all your vids and its inspiring them quite a bit... just need that final nudge to get them on the trials bikes! They'll get there this year I hope!

Great pics by the way...

Mags

Thanks Mags :) Tell them getting on a trials bike is one of the best things I've ever done! I'm managing to slow the bike right down on the clutch in turns now during practice, not far from being able to do full lock- it's taken a while but it's been a fun journey so far. Going to put a 44 tooth on the back today or tomorrow, the 10 has helped but 1st gear could be lower. Hope you had a good holiday :)

Managed to find a couple of photos from the clubs Facebook. This is my first go at posting photos so hope they work.

Since had a look at our official results. I managed 14th out of 45 in Grade C. Chuffed to bits for a first effort. Thats me on the left and bro-in-law on right.

post-20857-0-12848000-1420571901_thumb.jpgpost-20857-0-39947700-1420571913_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pics and excellent result :D

I had a look at the scores tonight, I got 93 lol :blush: But I didn't come last! Third from the bottom. The lowest score was 12 on the easy route, 20 on expert route. So no cleans, and no one at all cleaned section 9!

So fair play to you and your brother s_monty :)

• Like 1