Took Up Trial Biking After Open Heart Surgery

english electric

your right dabster even though I have low cholesterol level [3.9] was still given statins and still take them. like I said I started back work in sept and regarded myself fit an active as I work in heavy engineering [still do] the AF creates problems when its cold but seeing as I spent the last 9 weeks on nights on a loco fuel point I seemed to cope ok. the strangest things like standing up to quick or bending over looking up for extended periods trigger strange effects. but the funniest was on XMAS day as I was totally unaware the wife had bought me a bike [stashed at her mum and dads]I saw it wrapped in tinsel etc in the garage and nearly blacked out sufficient to say I spent the rest of xmas day gawping at it but waited a couple of days till the excitement had calmed down before I attempted to ride it. I then flooded it had to take the plug out and dry it in the oven. with all the excitement etc I triggered a migrane attack which lasted a few hours which meant it was 4 days later I rode it.

what a balloon head.!!!!!

I'm a regular contributor to TC and wrote the Centrally Speaking column for many years so lots of folks will know who I am. The point I'm getting to is that just two years ago I had a triple heart by-pass on December 20, 2012, was out of hospital on December 24, went to the Kendal Classic Club luncheon party on December 28, was secretary for the Lancs County trial on January 1 and walked round half the course, was back at work on January 31 and rode trials again from March 14, finishing 4th in the Clubman that day and third two days later.

Needless to say I'm still around, riding, observing, organising and occasionally writing. As folks say, it's all in the mind to a great extent. I did 22 trials last year, plus a load of observing or stewarding and rode my road bike loads of times, so it can be done and I feel spot on.

I recently had an MI (myocardial infarction)... a basic heart attack. I actually had one good one and four less intense ones during two weeks after the first.

My addiction to motorcycles for decades saw me have the first one on my road bike whilst travelling on it... my wife was pillion on the back at the time. We pulled into a fuel station and I rested for a bit. It abated somewhat after 40 mins, so on the bike and home.

I am now on statins ( a side effect is slippery vessels walls and plaque consolidation as it was deemed I had a thrombus (clot) in my left anterior descending heart artery), aspro and two heart meds.... one for BP and the other for stroke volume.

In the 10 weeks or so since it happened I have gone from 90kg, Cholesterol 6.4 and reasonably active to... 80.5 kg, Chol 3.1 and very active. Heart rate 51 at rest. Trials has been instrumental in my recovery and on-going management of my condition.

I was off the trials bike by order of cardiologist for a month as meds made me a bit giddy at times. Was back on road bike after two weeks, am now back on trials bike getting back to where I was 10 weeks ago! Hehehehe

I had an angiogram (yeah, not fun but necessary) and stress test and in six months from now the cardio is looking to get me off heart meds. I will be on statin and aspro forever. I have minimal damage to my heart muscle and the heart arteries are 3 x 100% clear and one mildly blocked... not too bad for 55! Shows a good diet (not too much sat fat) and minimal take-away food.

Any of you guys over 55 should talk to your GP about low dose aspro... it has many benefits with regard to clotting factor being reduced which reduces stroke incidence markedly. There is also evidence for anti-aging against alzheimers and possibly dementia. Trials are being done on this atm.

I have been very lucky and am now (with increased exercise and more sat fat elimination) a known factor and medicated... its the poor souls who dont know they are high risk falling by the way side. Many many people drop dead and its mostly preventable til much later in life.

Motorcycles, especially the trials bike, has been instrumental for my mental well being and my on-going recovery. Although, I have now to rein in my trials exploits and not fall over too much... Viva La Trials, baby!!!

EE,

What a great effort, mate!!! Onward and upward.... you may find yourself talking like Jabba the Hutt if someone mentions trials, as in, Addicted, I Am!

One of my best mates had a pacemaker fitted in '97... he's pretty active and I almost have him talked into a 250cc of some description! 2015 may be his year!

Mags

the problem I have always had will is I will always be in AF for the rest of my life there is no cure except prescribed medication like beta blockers and drug thinning drugs like warfarin. you can have your heart stopped and restarted but this especially as I have been in AF a number years has a low success rate.

which means I am on warfarin for life not a problem till you injure yourself hence being very carefull in what I attempt in trial biking rocks a def no no.