Do I Need The Spacer That Is Between Bearings In Front Tire? 02 Beta Rev 3

19delta

Trying to save weight, (read=I forgot to re-install) I didn't put the tube spacer between the front bearings when putting the front tire back together. Obviously I need to buy another $8 (USA) bearing to put it in. It seems to me its just there to make sure you have bearings seated all the way, which I do. BUT, once all back together, I tightened everything back up, and the front tire would hardly spin. We loosed the main axle bolt a bit, and its back to normal. What am I missing?

Thanks!

The spacer is very important, not just to check bearings are all the way in.

Without it you will be distorting the bearings, effectively pushing the centre's into the middle of the hub, causing them to bind. If you try and ride it like this the bearings will collapse.

• Like 2

Yes you need the spacer as without it you load up the bearings pushing the inner race against the balls and cause pre mature failure to the bearing Had this with my Moto Guzzi when the spacer was missing and made one up that was to short The bearings failed very quickly