dadof2

Nice idea for non road registered bikes only though.

It might help get some stolen bikes back.

Engraving or stamping is fine as long as you dont want to ever sell it.

I doubt after breaking in any scroat will even notice a stamped bike and say "oh dear i'm not taking that".

Come on dadoff think these things through....

Nigel, it is you who needs to think things through, or perhaps have a word with a crime prevention officer about the benefits of traceable ID marks on vehicles and goods.

Discreet stamping of a registration number with 4mm letter stamps, on forks, yolks, handlebars, engine casings, hubs, callipers, rims plus few other parts and putting a clearly visible sticker on the bike stating (parts security marked) greatly reduces theft and if it is stolen greatly increases the chances of it being returned.

Just engraving / etching the registration number of the glass parts of a vehicle greatly reduces theft.

Why should security marks affect the sale of the vehicle?

Slicktop - I posted this bearing in mind the situation in the UK

The VIN does not come up on the "national police database" An unregistered vehicle is treated more like lost property which is dealt with on a local basis.

Suppose you reported a stolen unregistered motorcycle to Cumbria police, Lancashire police could come across it and be unable even to know it was stolen, even if they suspected it was, if they could not trace the owner it would be handed back to the thief after 3 months.

To be readily traceable it needs a registration number issued by the DVLA.

VIN is often far too many digits to stamp easily.

The Idea is nice, but I don’t think your typical bike thief gives a damn about identifying numbers

Most tend to have a stolen angle grinder!

That’s if the scumbags can be bothered to grind them out, even if they do get caught they will only get a £80 fine and a naughty boy caution!

Edited by suzuki250