Sy175

glenn

Hi all

Was out playing on my scorpa yesterday, and was doing some hill climbs. My gear choice for hill climbs so far has always been 1st or 2nd and screem the breasts off it :blink: . I had never atempted any thing in 3rd as i thought A)the bike would not pull it from a standing start, B)i get a judder from the clutch pulling away in 2nd never mind 3rd. however i tryed a couple of hills in 3rd and it seamed to go up ok apart from said judder. So the first question has to be dose anybody know how to stop the judder, i am not sure if it's the clutch or the chain. And secondly how are people finding it on hill climbs.

Cheers Glenn

Glen I have been doing most hillclimbs using 2 nd. gear.Because 3rd seemed to run out of power mid way up climb and have shift down to second anyway.Seems a good run at hill helps out no matter what gear you start out in.I have found first gear will climb most anything but a bit slow.Jim

Hi Glenn

Got to say mate, first for almost everyting (as you know tho, mine is the little 125!).

The only time I use second is if the hill has no obsticles in the way. 99% of the time it's first, it may be slow, but it gets you there !

p.s - You should have been at Shafto Craggs today, was an excellent trial.

cheers

John.

p.s - You should have been at Shafto Craggs today, was an excellent trial.

Unfortunatly i work night shift on sundays, so sunday trials are out :( (untill i get another job). I'll be doing the weardale trial next saturday though :) . Was garry out representing team sandifords/repsol/white bros Montesa.

Glen

What sproket are you running on the front? The TY-S 175 I have as a demo came with a 10 in the bag but the bike was fitted with a 13 or 14. On the high gearing you could use to 1st to climb hills or ride to the High St it is geared so tall. I have tried the bike in 1,2 & 3rd on some pretty long climbs and my advice is to use second and let the bike take it's time, it makes not differnce revving the bags out of it. The same climb can be done on the SY 250 in 4th if you want get air at the top but the little 4T has a much different attitude. As far a as the clutch shudder goes, if you are using the 10 front I think it may just be a feel thing. If you have a bigger front sprocket than the 10, 2nd or 3rd is way to high for a launch.

Let me know what you are doing (get someone to take a pic or two)and with what gearing and I'll try to do something similar myself and tell you what I think is going on. I find the 175 can do nearly anything but it does it in a different way, once you learn it, it is such an easy bike to ride.

BJDownunder

my advice is to use second and let the bike take it's time

The hills i was trying had parts where it was quite steep (almost vertical) and the ground was loose and dry, so it required a bit of speed to get over these bits. Its only when playing about that i will come across these so its not realy a problem.

To stop the chain judder put on the heavyweight 428, it solved the problem on my 175

I'll see if renthal do one. I like there chains, had one on for over a year and it never stretched in the sligntest.