Hi From Winchester

jackm

Hi all,

Brand new to trials, having ridden enduro and motocross for over 25 years, my son and I have decided to take the plunge and try trials, the rest of the family (uncles etc) have always nagged to do trials and learn to ride properly! Just purchased my son a Beta Evo 125 and I now have a Jotagas 300, booked in at Hut Hill this weekend to ride for the first time, cant wait!!

Welcome, and the very best of luck to you both.

Waltham Chase MCC is an excellent club.

Sections at Hut Hill due to the nature of the ground can be tight and the club still follows the 'Stop' rule.

They are an ACU club so you will need a suitable registration which they can sort out for you both.

Have a good time!

Just a note that this weekend (22nd Feb) is not a Waltham Chase Trial at Hut Hill but a open to centre Southampton & District MCC trial and they don't tend to have a beginners route as Waltham Chase do. By all means still ride it but if its a bit servere don't let that put either of you off trials as Waltham Chase cater better for newbies...

The sections shouldn't be very tight this weekend as the easy route on these trials is set out to cater for pre 65 machines and it's being run under the non stop rules. You should be fine as you have ridden enduro for years.

There's normally just 3 routes at the Southampton and district events, An easy route, A route for everyone else and an expert route.

I've been asked to go and help on the Saturday to mark the expert route.

These events are always fun and interesting, If you don't get on with the sections you can spend the rest of the day practicing around the rest of the venue so you will still get a good day out on the bike's.

Let's hope the weather will be in our favor.

Thanks for the encouragement, we had a great day out but some sections were a little tough for Jack, new to the Beta and new to trials, but he really enjoyed the day and now cant wait for the next meeting. With both of us new to trials it was quite a tricky day looking after Jack and also trying to work out what I should be doing myself, and although we ended up a bit all over the place the experience was great, with all the observers offering encouragement to keep going and let Jack ride whatever bit's of the section he was happy with.

It did rain from around 1:30 and made some sections quite slippery but we were still the last riders playing around until the burger van left.

We have joined Waltham chase club so will be looking for their next meeting, and with the knowledge gained hopefully we can both complete all laps and sections.

Waltham chase club has lots of youth riders and beginners and the easy route is set out especially for them, We keep them out of the nasty mud, Give plenty of space to turn and make sure the sections are safe and not intimidating.

The trial you rode was not a nice trial for beginners and most of the sections were set out in the places to avoid when it's wet. It was a lot tighter than the past trials Southampton club has set out, Not their fault as it's really a trial for the old boys they just decided to up the game this time.

Section 1 and 2 were especially nasty for beginners.

We have 5 routes to cater from 4 year olds on electric bikes up to the experts.

I'll keep an eye out for you at the next one and come and say hello.

Thanks Steve, we will seek you out at the next Waltham chase trial. We joined Waltham chase club at the weekend, Simon Bond had the forms and we filled in on the day so hopefully we should get details of the next event soon,

Thanks again Ian and Jack.