Slipping Clutch

gregd

neonsurge, try putting your bike in 3rd or fourth then rock it back and forth you can feel the clutch plates seperating most times, also pull and release clutch lever same time,then start her up , often works.

Rocking back and forth in a high gear also helps to prime the engine for easier starting in cold, damp, miserable weather (parc ferme in FW) :(

Aren't you riding a 200 now neonsurge?

All my bikes have done this and I am told that it is normal, however I think that it is less of a problem with larger capacity bikes as they don't stall as easily when the clutch sticks and maybe have enough power to unstick them. My bike usually does it, but my 200 does it much less severely than the 125 which I used to ride as on that you could ride around for quite a while whilst pumping the clutch and it wouldn't stop dragging until I put it into top gear.

Aren't you riding a 200 now neonsurge?

I did for a while but although it was a very good competition bike the lack of raw grunt meant that it was no fun for just messing around on. In the end I decided that a compromise was probably the best solution and bought a 250.

Sounds like the sticky clutch is nothing to worry about and I've just been lucky with my previous Betas. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that the clutch is the wet type, so when the bike has been stood, all of the oil drains from the plates. Therefore, the first time you select a gear with the engine running, even with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike will lurch forward because the plates are stuck together. I've been told to put the bike in gear, pull the clutch lever and kick the engine over gently a few times to try and lubricate the clutch plates without starting the bike. Personally, I prefer to start the bike, point it at a large open space, bob it in gear and hope for the best! :(

just the plates sticking together when left for a while, before starting put into gear and move back and forth with the clutch disengaged and this will give the plates a chance to seperate then start, this happens alot with classic road racers when left for a week or more at a time,