Twinshock Montesa Cota 200

f1ngerbang

Hi all. Looking for advice on whether the following would be a wise move for a project bike. Background is I want something to work on with my dad; mum passed away last year and working on a project bike is a good way to spend a few nights; keep him occupied and ultimately end up with a runner that we'd probably look to move on so we can do up something else. So...... I've been offered a Montesa Cota 200 for £300. Been sat for a couple of years. When it was running I actually had a crack on it, gears were all good and sounded nice. It's all there and fires up 'but' when it gets warm it is a right pain to restart if you stall it. The reason it's been sat in the garage is because of this issue; nothing else. (I reckon it's a gunked up carb). Anyone got any thoughts as to whether this is a good price for one and anything I should look out for that might be a showstopper?! I'm not looking to throw money at it either, so if parts are monster prices it'd be good to know up front! Cheers in advance!

• Like 1

Sounds like the problems you may face in turning it into a decent runner could be moderate rather than severe. But...turning it into a sellable proposition without making a loss could be a different matter. Chances are it may need chain, sprockets, rear units, tyres, brakes, cables etc to make it into a desirable and competitive ride. All of these are available but the cost would soon mount up and the 200 Cotas are not that popular in the first place.

I'm doing up a 247, it's £20 here £40 there and soon mounts up. Motivation is to get it running , reliable and use it with my son and enter the occasional so I'm not keeping tabs too much on cost. If you wanted to cover your costs and sell it on then it would have to be a thorough restoration and rebuild. You don't see too many for sale so not sure if they are rare or undesirable as per Cleanorbust's advice.

I think if I was in your position I'd find ways to maximise the time with your dad on it but work to a budget.

Edited by bothfeetdown

Hi, as previous comments, most cables, gaskets, tyres etc are still readily available, but the engine side of things, gears, pistons etc are a bit more of a challenge, and aren't cheap either, Tricky Trials in the UK and Vallmoto in Spain carry the hard to find stuff. I have used both for bits for my 200 Cota. My group has a file section where you can download the parts manual, will make it easier when searching for parts by number rather than description.

www.facebook.com/groups/hardtofindtrialsandaircooledmono/

It's a dad + son project to get over a huge loss in first place.

Don't think about the money think about the mission and get it done with a nice result.

Afterwards you will remember this time and the bike be connected with it so selling later will be difficult for you if the process went as expected which means spending some £££ is completely OK IMHO.

• Like 3

A very worthy project you have in mind, the cost is not to be a concern.

The hard starting could be as simple as a flooding carb, but is more likely electrical.

Mount an automotive condenser under the tank. Cheap insurance.

As for spending quality time with Dad,

You only go round once!!

Larry