Cota 247 Up And Running

bothfeetdown

Finally got my Cota 247 up and running, had it nearly 10 years and have just finished the last job (crankshaft seals). Only been run for a short time so far so needs to be ridden and set up completed. Seems to be a bit smokey, I assuming it's crud in the exhaust and needs a clean out/plenty of use.

Here's a photo

post-2454-0-53301300-1431974437_thumb.jpg

Edited by bothfeetdown
  • Like 2

Hi Graham, looking good!

What oil ratio are you mixing up? Bearing in mind that the synthetic oils nowdays protect at 50:1 ratio as old style two stroke oil was 25:1 If your putting too much oil in no wonder your getting smoked out of your shed!

Get out and give it a blast across the fields, clean the build up of oil out of the exhaust and silencers. Check the colour of the plug after a high speed run - if it's running a bit rich then it will probably be a bit smokeier.

Good luck with it

Cheers

Dave

Pro sport, thanks Dave I'm running 25:1 so will experiment with 50:1, I'm assuming the 2T I'm using is synthetic I will check later. I got out of the shed but it was smoking the garden a bit. So did a few laps and put it away again, it definitely needs a good few hours of use. Looking forward to a plug chop on it takes me back to youth!

Cleanorbust - it's a UK import so has a fibre glass cover from new. We weren't allowed fibreglass or plastic tanks because of the cafe racers etc having them leak and break up in the 1950s. I'm glad to have it given the ethanol issues. The seals were great fun to do. The ignition side is easy but you need the correct puller to get the mag off (inmotion). The primary side was very hard to do, this post was very helpful. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/55497-349-crank-seals/#entry395553 The two tips I would share are to use a knot of cloth to jam the primary gears and to use the recommended puller from ebay but don't use the additional tip on the puller to centre the puller use the the crank nut instead - the puller thread will sit inside the crank nut when 50% screwed on.

HI Graham, looking good.

After doing my crank seals it still smoked a lot at first. Running 25:1 Putaline synthetic and after a couple of hours of running at the weekend it no longer looks like the red arrows have been through the section.

I had to tweak the carb a lot on the idle speed and air screw after replacing the seals, I guess this is a good thing as it must have been gulping air in before.

How much engine noise do you have? Did you try turning the crank by hand when you had the primary gear off? Mine sounds awful. Someone had a listen to mine when it was running but said its fine just a bit of piston noise. Must just be the way things were back then...

It looks like I have my front mudgaurd on back to front too. It was that way when I bought it though, honest!

Cheers arfur, I had to reset the carb mix and tick over so was well worth doing. Back garden had its own cloud system at first but hopefully a bit use will sort it

I did check the crank and couldn't find obvious float, I think they are noisy but I'm well out touch. Almost 35 years since last big two stroke. Didn't seem too bad when riding it. I think your right about how they were?

I'm looking forward to using the bike properly