Got White Oil?!

dobbin

Only place you are going to get water into the gearbox without drowning the bike is the water pump seal, if you changed the seal but not the bearing and or shaft, you may find the seal has worn a slight grove in the shaft, so just replacing the seal will not always cure the problem.

If this is the first oil change since changing the seal I would change it one or two more times just to make sure that it isn't residue from the initial contamination.

I take it the fan is cycleing on and off correctly and the bike isn't running to hot.

I had the same problem. When I removed the pump cover it was full of calcium deposits (or limescale or something - we live in a hard water area and the previous owner obviously didn't put distilled water in there). It took me ages to carefully scrape all the crap out of the cover and around the shaft seal and clean everything up. Fortunately there was no actual corrosion but the impeller itself was in pretty poor shape so to be on the safe side I replaced everything - impeller, shaft, seal, bearing, drive cog (and case gasket). Total cost was around

Edited by neonsurge

neonsurge,

One cause of limescale and calcium deposits could be that normal green and blue antifreeze contains phosphates and silicates which needs to be changed every 2 years otherwise their corrosion inhibiting ability is lost. I have just bought some G12plus (pink) antifreeZe from GSF which is recommended by vw and audi for their new cars which does not contain phosphates and silicates and can be filled for "life" according to the bottle but guess about 5 years ish . Just thought it might help you in your hard water area. Try a search on google for g12 plus audi or vw, Found a cracking site once which persuaded me to get it but cant seem to find it again :P

digger