Crankcase Paint

brownie001

Powder coat is ya answer, that new PJ engine paint has all the fuel resistant properties of a kids water based paint.

My local powder coaters have done lots of mag' parts...also they do a super shiney finish like polished ali if thats ya bag.

Maybe you can find out from your powder coater just what exactly he does to the magnesium parts before he coats them. That is the whole point of this discussion. Magnesium 'gases out' when the PC is being baked which leaves a lunar landscape for a finish. That's also the reason why normal engine paint is not the way to go as with time it lifts, exposes the mag to moisture and it corrodes away.

If you are happy with what you've got and you mate is too, not really much to be said.

I have already had experience of the original crankcase coating on my 125 having lifted and a small hole was the result. Left a nice trail of gearbox oil around the club grounds.

That's what I'm trying to avoid in the future.

• 2 weeks later...