Entry Fees

dadof2

When I first started (1970s and 80s) entering competitive motorsports entry fees were as follows.

Trials about 1/2 to 3/4 of a typical houly rate

MX about 1 to 1&1/4 of a typical hourly rate

Karting 1 to 1&1/4 of a typical hourly rate

Autograss 3/4 to 1 typical hourly rate

Now

Trials 1 to 2 times typical hourly rate

MX (£40) 3 times typical houly rate

Karting (£45) more than 3 times typical houly rate

Autograss (£6 to £7) 1/2 typically hourly rate

I know a major reason why Karting fees have increased is increased safety costs and investment in facilities. These do not apply to off road bike sports so why the excessive increases in entry fees.?

Some of it is inflation based and wage stagnation/reduction making the figures seem higher. Entry fees rise with inflation, wages don't, the reason may be as easy as that, and not forgetting H&S and higher insurances/claims, the culture of blame.  

what's your "typical hourly rate" ??? - minimum wage is now on course for what £9/hour soon ...

and what do you think the entry fee are for the events you a re picking

off the top of my head "down souf" ;

Trials - very cheapest might be £10 at a club trial, but i often pay £15 (Bexleyheath & DMCC), also £15 for most group/centre trials (£20 on the day). we (Sidcup & DMCC) charged £18 four our centre trial last month and a probably upping our group trial in the autumn to £18. some clubs down here that use MOD / Forestry land pay vast land fees (maybe £1000 per event) so charge more (~£20)

as for MX and Enduro we charge £50 ish a rider....

as to what you get for your money, the things people want from the entry fee has gone up.

* the ACU "take" about £5 in rider levys and insurance payments.

* land costs

* consumables

* observers - i hear of several club paying "reasonable expenses" to get observers. we stock a raffle for of prizes for ours plus a sizeable lunch bag.

* trophies, etc

* toilets

on top of that you might want to invest in your venue. riders want (?) obstacles developed - this winter i spent a few days in a digger moving rocks around (digger, diesel, etc ££££) and i'ld like to do more but time, labour and money are limiting factors

so what the rider in the time frame you mention may have expected much less from their entry fee (and may have been more willing to contribute labour) - which may lead to a like for like lower costs

re inflation - you could always work it out  (Bank of England) but that is probable CPI/RPI not "purchasing power parity" that you suggest

Not this one again!!!, We have been over this before in great lengths with dadoff and dabster having world war 3.

Years ago there was no stupid green party and land was more available for a bottle of scotch to a farmer or for free, Nowadays land is in short supply and it it costs, Some local club events have to get over 50 riders just to pay for the land.

Trials clubs don't make much after insurance, Permit's, stewards fees, Insurance, Land, Charity donations,Trophies etc. 

• Like 2

Observers out in the wind and rain for approx. 3 hours for YOUR...pleasure, SORRY your £10...mmmm :stupid:   come on.

Ive done some cracking trials for £15 and some poor trials with NO observers for the same.

I think the clubs have there hands tied with some land owners + insurance,

£15 for a days motorsport " YES PLEASE " :closedeyes: .

• Like 3

Trials riding is so cheap its almost unbelievable. Usually £10 to £15 can get you over 4 hours of riding. What else is there you can do so cheap?  Mostly thanks to volunteers.    Insurance costs will kill all motorsports in the end. 

• Like 2

This is a real touchy one because as an organiser I wouldn't like to cost out my average club trial.

Apart from spending the best part of a day setting out I have to drag the boss along on the day to do the paperwork.

How many brownie points do you have to build up durng the week to get this and it doesn't end there as she does the results too.

You would have to be crazy or very keen to do do this. 

As an aside we make pennies on our trials, The clubs only real income is membership fees.

• Like 3

Trials must be the cheapest form of motorsport

even cycling entry fees cost more (and the bikes)

When I started trials it probably cost me less for my bike and gear than it does just to enter half a dozen road races

• Like 1

Why not do a similar cost exercise against the price of a bike and all of your gear ?

Plenty of riders turn up at a practice day with £5K of bike and gear do they really expect to get a ride for a tenner ?

Think of the land owner, why should he let you loose on his ground for your enjoyment ? As has been said you can't get land down here (south east England) for the cost of a bottle it's more like a couple of hundred quid.

I think the real price should be nearer £20-£25 and we should be grateful !

• Like 1

As a committee member of a trials club I can confirm they don't make money and land cost are high north or south doesn't matter. Compared to the majority of motor sports trials is too cheap, not enough left in the pot for training days for the youth riders or throwing more money at potentially new venues. Like others I have done some four wheeled motor sport, only track days with an old BMW, but the average entry fee for an evening track day is circa £150 for effectively 2 - 3 hours on track, that's before trailer purchase or higher, tyres brake pads etc etc. You can do a world class event like the Scott for £30, it's unbelievable and we should all be grateful.

• Like 3