Shocks

johnboy999

Hi all,Could someone please explain the advantages of Gas Shocks as opposed to the original factory units fitted to a Ty 250 1976.

I brought this as a project to while away my time and restore it as it is identical bike I brought back in 1976.

My knowledge is very limited as you can see.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I've never found any great difference in the performance of either type on trials bikes, they don't operate at quick enough speed to seem to make a difference.

On the race bikes I've tried them and the speed in which they have to operate (up and down) there seems very little in it. I think the idea was to get rid of the problem of the old oil filled type 'frothing' and therefore going softer as the oil got hot.

All my modern race bikes ('80's onwards) have gas shocks as they became standard fitment, but on trials bikes I've not seen any need for them. 

Hi all,Could someone please explain the advantages of Gas Shocks as opposed to the original factory units fitted to a Ty 250 1976.

I brought this as a project to while away my time and restore it as it is identical bike I brought back in 1976.

My knowledge is very limited as you can see.

Thanks.

If you want it to look like it has original chromed TY250 shocks, there are shocks available for that and they are quite cheap, but they are terrible for riding the bike with. the springs are way too stiff and the damping is very poor action

If you want "non-gas" shocks for riding trials, they are available still being made by Betor, but are 1970s technology so the action is not as good as modern design shocks

If you want it to ride as good as it can, you need to get modern design trials shocks, and all the ones I know that have a great action are pressurised with gas

If you really want to understand why the gas is there, you could study the historical development of hydraulic suspension

John wants to keep the bike as close to how it came from the factory. I use Norman Blakemore for my retro stuff (NJB), he builds them to suit the weight of the rider, length required, et cetera.

Thanks Guys, whatever I take off I will keep so when my days are gone whoever gets it will be able to replenish with the bits I took off.

I will put up pics before I start and completed job when finished , I do not intend using it in trials but will put her on the road for me to go for a spin.

One thing I will not be putting back is the oil tank.

Off subject Spen , have a peeps at anything goes thread you must have something to add??? (only one thing per day )

Thanks Guys, whatever I take off I will keep so when my days are gone whoever gets it will be able to replenish with the bits I took off.

I will put up pics before I start and completed job when finished , I do not intend using it in trials but will put her on the road for me to go for a spin.

One thing I will not be putting back is the oil tank.

Off subject Spen , have a peeps at anything goes thread you must have something to add??? (only one thing per day )

Already have.....