Left Grip Position

alan bechard

Not sure this will make sense to others or not..

So I aired on my left grips, cut for the bar ends and away I go.

As I ride, my hand naturally positions the grip "inward" towards the center of the bar.

I am wondering, will it stop moving in? I would think it would reach a position on the bar where my arm / hand was comfortable at, then settle in too that position.. So,, Should I cut off the extra length of unused bar??? about an inch at the moment.

So what effect would having unequal bar lengths relative to the center have? My right arm is clearly stronger than my left so would it not make sense to have the left bar longer than the right? But my little experiment is doing the opposite. Would my throttle assy move inwards if I left it looser and slid in the front brake perch?

Just looking to see if others have thought along these lines before.

I always saw about 20mm off each end of my bars, mainly to stop me stretching too much when riding. I did hear somewhere that if you get in a push up position with your elbowws at 90 degrees then measure where your hands are this should be your optimum bar width??????????????/

I have made bar ends that have a 10 mm dia by 2mm shoulder so that you only cut a 10mm hole in the end of the grip so it is clamped over the end of the bars. This means it never moves and never gets water and mud in it when you fall off.

Ian

Alan, I think you'll find it's simply the natural pressure that you apply to the bars. The right one would move as well only it's held in place by the throttle. Same thing happens on every bike I've ever had...a good reason to glue and lockwire grips I fugure. :D I don't think it would stop it moving no matter how much you cut off the bar...but you can keep cutting off the protruding end and see if you end up with one hand on the crossbar ;)

If you want to prove it, put the bars on backwards...the grip should then move outward on the bar...at least if you can ride it that way far enough to actually move the grip :)

I think you should wire the grips. Always keeps mine from moving. Or try Moving the bars to the right in there clamps a little bit, so you don't have to cut the bar. Actually, I don't know if that's the right thing to do...

You said your right arm was stronger right? So go to the gym and pump some iron with the left. :):D