06 Us National Series

the last time we did a national in the summer in TN, everyone nearly died from the heat. May will be nice.

We just need more clubs (from not so southern places) to step up & offer to do nationals in the summer.

I think that MN and Ohio may be in the works for 07, you should all encourage them. Also some west coast clubs in N. Calif and OR/WA. We need our national series to be truly national and every year the NATC strive for that, but it is up to the clubs to agree to host an event.

dan

Edited by dbrown

Dunno why I'm a defeatist when I say that. Its true. The Europeans just put more into it since its a bigger deal over there than over here. :ph34r:

I'm all for another american winning it.

Sorry about b!tching in the last post, it was late... :D

How much time Dman have you spent in Europe and what experience have you had of the training in the US versus UK for example? I'm not one to say we aren't better in Europe but surely as Bernie proved it makes no difference where you are from more how much dedication and application you have?????

Wow, did I get shot down. There is no way I'm going to argue with you guys when fifty of you jump down my throat on common knowledge. Its staring you in the face.

And yet I know an american can get there, it'll just be tougher.

How much time Dman have you spent in Europe and what experience have you had of the training in the US versus UK for example? I'm not one to say we aren't better in Europe but surely as Bernie proved it makes no difference where you are from more how much dedication and application you have?????

I know people like Adam Raga ride just about every day for at least 4 hours. He trains at the gym in the morning and rides 11 monthes out of the year. See I do know something... :ph34r:

Actually I may argue this out. Why not... :D

edit: Why did I have to get you guys off topic like this. Lets talk about the national series.

Edited by Dman

Wow, did I get shot down. There is no way I'm going to argue with you guys when fifty of you jump down my throat on common knowledge. Its staring you in the face.

And yet I know an american can get there, it'll just be tougher.

WHY?

I know people like Adam Raga ride just about every day for at least 4 hours. He trains at the gym in the morning and rides 11 monthes out of the year. See I do know something... :

Thought we were talking about prospects not champions?

Actually I may argue this out. Why not... :ph34r:

Why no debate is healthy?

I think it is on topic Dman, part of the problem is how can they use the series to build future hopes of young US riders.

If they build a series that is championship material friendly, then you end up scaring the bread and butter off and all loose.

Dabster is correct in saying it is up to the individual, Bernie knew this and had to make the decision to live and train in Europe, local riders have told me just before Bernie moved to Europe he spent a few weeks camping and training by himself in the Tillamook state forest, they camped with him on weekends as they worked on a upcoming national.

Bernie would practice, and help them with sections, and talked with them round the campfire about what position he was in, he knew to go further he would have to move, he did move, the rest is history.

Biggest advantage the European riders have is the time they can spend and train together, the size of the USA doesn't allow this to happen often enough or for long enough periods of time, from what I have seen they don't get more backing and support, until they start producing the goods, in fact I think a promising young rider in the US has more chance of getting help from an importer than they do over there, more kids wanting very few places, it is fact that some top 10 world championship riders struggle to make enough to compete and had to quit to earn a living.

So back to the series! can it be used in it's present form to bring on future prospect, I think it can without changing anything, it is just a matter of what position of ability you can be at when still young enough to get to Europe.

Living in a van and doing whatever you can to earn a few $$ just to be able to eat and get to the next event may not look so good, but you would be surprised how many have and do, and when your young it's an adventure, amazing what you can do when the only person you have to think about is you.

I think the best thing we can do for the national series is hold more events, not change the system.

Edited by ishy

It seem a common issue here that most clubs small and large have great difficulty providing the manpower that it takes to put on a National. I know we had members from at least four clubs to staff the last couple of Texas events.

A minimum of 24 observers per day is not easy to obtain.

Given no other resources, this manpower would have to come from the ranks of the riders themselves(or their qualified family members and friends)say 12 per day would be chosen.

In turn, these riders would be issued a bye or a set number of series points unless they were able to provide a family member or friend to fill in. This might actually encourage more direct participation by some folks.

An assurance that at least half of the observers would be provided by the riders group and NATC might enable many smaller clubs to participate more readily instead of having to be soo hesitant to commit!

Just food for thought!

Of course there is always the split schedule that many of us use!

I personnaly believe the NATC should fly in "Hooters Girls" to check at events. (are you listening Dan?) :ph34r:

Given no other resources, this manpower would have to come from the ranks of the riders themselves(or their qualified family members and friends)say 12 per day would be chosen.

In turn, these riders would be issued a bye or a set number of series points unless they were able to provide a family member or friend to fill in. This might actually encourage more direct participation by some folks.

An assurance that at least half of the observers would be provided by the riders group and NATC might enable many smaller clubs to participate more readily instead of having to be soo hesitant to commit!

Offering a bye is exactly how NETA does it. Working one event during the season is required if you want to compete for points in the overall end of year standings. If a club new they would receive a given number of checkers (maybe by advance sign up, much like the pre-registration) maybe more clubs would be interested in putting on a National and be able to spend more time preparing for the event then trying to recruit and train observers. Oh! and trying to convince them that spending an entire day in the woods wihout facilities and breaks is really fun :ph34r:

This method would certainly go a long way at tempering any criticsms that the checkers weren't very good.

I've GOT IT!

Dan, for the National and WTC event, you can round up all the local girls, dress -um up like Hooters Girls with those tight little pants and stuff and teach them how to------WWOOOOOAAHH!---------------

I just had a flashback of the Wal-Mart in Kimball, -----nevermind!

MC :ph34r:

Given no other resources, this manpower would have to come from the ranks of the riders themselves

From reading the replies it seems a major problem deterring clubs from hosting events is finding enough manpower on the day, then a possible solution would be cross checking, it's not the ideal situation for a national but would provide more people to observe and other duties.

If the national series was run in this type or similar format would more clubs be willing to host an event? if the question isn't answered then how will people know.

The NATC are faced with the problem of few events, if the root cause is clubs unable to get the volunteer to run those events, and they are made aware of this, then at least they can work on it for next season.

I think next year will see a surge of clubs wanting to do nationals. Just a predicition, but for some reason, clubs are burnt out from locals and other stuff. So maybe this will be the slow year and next year will be better, we never know.