2001 Beta Rev 3 250 Cc

jebusfu

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum and (hopefully) about to buy my first trial. A friend of mine offered me his 2001 beta rev 3 250 for a good price and I am tempted to buy it. However he said that it needs some maintenance/repair and I am having troubles to estimate how much money and time this would require. According to him the following things need to be addressed/changed:

- replace chain

- clutch is stuck (though i found some solutions for that here in the forum)

- Air and oil filter

- spark plug

- brakes need to be bleed

- Suspension service

I have no former experience with motos or engines in general but I am comfortable servicing my mountain bikes (brakes, forks, gears...).

I assume that most of the things are rather easy to fix. I am worried about the clutch. Any ideas how much I d need to invest to get it up and running again ?

Thanks for any comment !

Christoph

It's worth about£900 when it's sorted out,but you could spend half that doing it.Youll probably find a few other things as well,such as tyres,brake pads.Has it been used recently or been standing?Old bikes can be money pits,unless you know what you're looking at or can take someone who does ,I'd look for a better one,unless it's really cheap and you want to do the work

I think it has been standing for about 1.5 years. I can get it for 300 euros/250 Gbp, so quite cheap. Can anybody recommend a good european webpage where i can find spare parts ? Is the engine the same as for the more recent models ?

Thanks

Christoph

I'd want to get it running before I bought it,if it doesn't.You might free the clutch by putting it in 6th gear,pulling the clutch in and pulling it backwards.BVM moto in the uk are helpful,Google them.Can you post photos of it?might help us to help you

Looks like a cheap bike as long as you don't have to spend out on too many problems.

Most Beta clutches stick, even if only left for a few weeks.

Strip out the plates and clean them.

Also check the clutch basket for wear, the tabs on the outer edges of the fibre plates can dig into the baskets "fingers" and damage the alloy.

Most will show signs of wear, as it's a cheap bike, best just files them flat rather than replacing the basket, they'll wear again and so will a new basket!

Refit and fill the gearbox with clean oil. (a light gear oil design for motorcycle wet clutches).

Also every time before starting, it's worth selecting second or third gear and rocking it with the clutch lever in to free it off.

Rev3's have a simple rear suspension set up, they have no linkage, just the stock/damper connected directly to the swinging arm.

Before buying, carefully check the shock/damper unit isn't leaking and doesn't "slurp" when bounced.

As they get older they can suffer from the bladder inside bursting, this causes a soggy action and you can often hear it slurp or see a leak.

They are hard to get rebuilt and expensive to replace, though Olle do a reasonable replacement.

For parts, search the Beta motors webpage for your countries importer.

Bosi OffRoad keep most parts and Ebay is always worth a search.

Most Rev3 parts are interchangeable, but the 2000 and 2001 models were slightly different.

The major changes are the 2000 has upside down forks and the airbox on the left side.

2001 has normal forks and the airbox on the left, these have different air filters and rear mudguards than later models.

From 2002 onwards the airbox is under a flap in the seat.

Run it on higher octane fuel, they really need 98 otherwise they can knock badly with pre detonation.

Other Beta problems are few and far between, the stators can sometimes pack up and require a rewind or replacement.

The casing under the waterpump can rot away causing coolant and gearbox oil to mix together.

The Mikuni carb needs the float height setting correctly, as they are fitted at such an angle, they are prone to flooding out the float bowl if the bikes at an angle if set too high or they can lean the mix right out on climbs if set to low.

Thanks everybody for the comments. So... in the end I bought the bike. I will see if I get it running and otherwise try to sell it again. I started taking things apart today and cleaning them. I disassembled and cleaned the carburetor , bought a new spark plug and washed the air filter. Also I removed leftover fuel, gear oil and cooling liquid. I will try to put some fresh fuel in in the next days and see if i can get it started. I hope somebody can help me with a few questions:

- what is the position for the screws on the carburetor for Idle and air

- how much gear oil to fill in the clutch

- how much cooling luqiud and witch kind 

- whats the fuel to oil ratio needed ?

Thanks a lot and a good weekend