Initial Gear Selection Problem

surface

Hi,

I'm new on here, and have little bike knowledge, wondered if one of you more experienced guys could help me out.

I have a 02 Sherco 250, it runs great but I have one problem with it. It starts first kick but when cold if I select a gear it jumps forward and stalls. To get round this i have to perform a rolling start, before selecting the gear. Once its warmed up I have no further problems.

Have you guys any idea what causes this and if so what do i need to replace or fix?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cneers

They all seem to do it.I have two techniques for this. Firstly at home where I don't want to disturb the neighbours, before I start mine I put it in top gear then pull in the clutch lever and rock the bike backwards and forwards slightly. You will initially feel some resistance but after a few seconds you hear and feel the clutch free itself. The bike then rolls backwards and forwards freely. Then I put the bike back in to neutral and start her up. When you put the bike in gear it should normally stay still. At a trial on the other hand I usually start the bike and leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes to warm the oil normally does the trick. Changing the transmission oil at very frequent intervals also makes a massive difference to not only your engine life but also trying to selecting gears and neutral.

Yep - Most seem to do it. I normally knock it in to gear and put both brakes half on for a bit. Soon clears, and with the sudden stop you can performa neat forward roll over the bars. Gets you used to falling off for the day. :D

Not something that is worth trying to fix.

When you load up the trailer/van/transporter, tie a strap/bungee cord around the clutch lever and handlebar.

After starting the engine from cold hold the clutch lever in against the bars with your right hand, while waiting for the engine to warm up, ...and while you search for the choke lever with your left hand. Once warmed up remember to switch hands!

As Dabster points time sitting still is a factor. While the bike was parked all week doing nothing in the cold garden shed, the clutch spring pressure was squeezing the oil out from between the cork and metal plates - just let things warm up a little before tearing off across the carpark.

Gentle brake pressure perhaps but none of this 'jamming on the brakes/over the bars routine' if the family jewels are at all important!