1960 24TCS

whitehillbilly

• 4 months later...

• 2 months later...

Good to see an original spec Greeves Scottish in trials use, it even has the toolbox fitted.

Is the Greeves Moorland blue paint the original finish, I also see what could be TES forks fitted, what changes if any have been made to the bike I notice it has the Villiers carb also the plug lead comes from the mag case so presumably the Villiers ignition system as well?

Edited by trialsrfun

Hi Trialsrfum.

Yes original, as I got it, 25 yrs ago, as a barn find.

I cut of original 'bar' type foot pegs off. Add folding ones. RH side has no spring, so can be folded up to kick start, when cold. starts to the foot peg when warm.

Rock guards added, heavy duty, as the sections in Aus can have lots, and big.

I added a chain tensioner, and cut an old chopping board, bending around the swing arm, as am running a 12T gearbox sprocket, and It was cutting in a bit.

60 thou OS Hepolite piston. Was 10 thou OS until piston circlip broke, the pin scored the barrel. Had to take it right out to remove score marks, so probably closer to 262cc now ????

Electrics are STD, lead soldered onto coil. Coil was re wound, by HI Output coils, Vic, AU, 20 odd years ago.

The paint was matched from sample inside Brake hub, so probably very close to original Moorland Blue. Still have 1/2 ltr in tin for touch ups.

Front fork bottom loop is thicker than original type. It was fitted. GRA member thought maybe off SAS model.

NJB front and rear forks jacked it up higher than STD.

Tool box has spare plug and a few tools in it.

Still has the original Swing arm oiler, drip feed metering screw fitted.

GRA member, who built the wheels at Greeves, supplied alloy rims and pre cut spokes. Alloy rims same fitted to 63 works bikes.

Alloy exhaust, had perforated tube in the middle, packed with insulating wadding, with After market silencer fitted.

Before and After. Nice and shiny back then.

Whitehillbilly

1960 24TCS (2).jpg

1960 24TCS a (2).jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

14 hours ago, spen said:

Of all my bikes, trials, road or racing, my Greeves Scottish is my favourite....

I have to agree with you Spen, I have a 1961 Greeves Scottish 24 TDS this is the bike that got me into riding classic trials and is very much a favourite of mine although currently after a lot of use it awaits a tidy up. I know it's full history it was sold new by Dave Bickers when he had a motorcycle shop, I first saw the bike when in my teens, at that time it was owned and ridden by a well known MXer who frequently raced in europe the next owner but one was me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to dust the cobwebs off.

First Trial in 3 weeks. Hope it cools off a bit. Mid 30's and 100% humidity at the moment. Very unpleasant.

Think even the Greeves is sweating. Amazing these little air cooled engines manage the Cold, snow and ice, in the Scottish highlands, and upto the 40's here in Aus.

whitehillbilly