Bultaco Sherpa M49 Info

feetupfun

My Sherpa M49 came without the (top-in bottom-out) triangular box end muffler. I have not seen them for sale anywhere so am guessing will need to make one. I don't have any decent close-up photos of an original muffler to help with this. Maybe the replica triangular muffler (bottom-in top-out) as sold by Sammy Miller can be easily modified. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks

David Lahey

Have you tried http://trialclasico.com in spain. This site list the model 49 muffler that you are looking for. I have no experiance of these people so can not advice on quality etc.

I have this style of second muffler(original)on my model 80 and I am thinking of taking it off. The muffler is not blocked but it definatly strangles the performance, engine not so quick reving and also digs in the back of my foot/ankle restricting foot movement.I remmber back in the 70's we all took these triangular boxes off and fitted small round after market silencers that took the bark of the exhaust note without resticting performance and also saved weight.

Now if I could find a source of these small after market silencers I would definatly reach for the check book.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

Thanks twinnshock, I hadn't seen the trialclasico.com site before. There was a good closeup photo of their replica muffler for the M49 so if I want to make one it will be easy to get it looking right. They certainly are expensive to buy. I agree that they are not the most practical type muffler to use but the old Bultacos look a bit strange with cylindrical mufflers.

If you want a good practical cylindrical end muffler for old two stroke trials bikes, I suggest that a Suzuki RGV250 end muffler from a wrecker is a good starting point. They are light, cheap and look quite good.

David

I have also had a good look at the photo's on the web site. Not sure if this muffler is quite correct compared with some bike photo's I have seem so be very carefull.

The small silencer I remmber fitting to my old M80 in the 70's was of steel construction about 2" diameter and about 5" long so was hardly noticeable on the bike but took the bark/edge of the exhaust note. Any body got one of these?

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

;) Hy David

Nice to hear about another M49. Mine was bought by my father and I rode my first regional trial with it at 15 years back in 1979.

I restored everything in 2002, rode one round in Moudon Switzerland behind magical Mick Andrews (what an honour for me...) and since then in France at AFATA trials.

The muffler: Mine is still original, looks small, but without it, there is an ugly sound, not really nice and power delivery does not improve.

I really recommend to ad something.

Another useful item was a leonelli electronic ignition, power + 25%, engine never stoped since, although about 400EUR, well invested money for me.

regards

Patrick from Switzerland

http://www.twnclub.ch/m49_restauration.htm

post-986-1132700706.jpg

Hello Patrick

Thanks for the great photos of you and your fine M49. I had a bit of trouble reading your web page (we Aussies only get a small amount of schooling in other languages). Did you say the restoration cost 4500 Swiss Francs?

Mine is also an early M49(M4900100).

You may weep if you saw how unusual mine looked when I bought it so I won't send you any photos until it looks more like a M49. It had been fitted with a road bike dual seat, huge front and rear road-bike type footpegs mounted on heavy steel frames, the rear frame loop had been bent down to allow the double seat to fit better and the tank and side covers had been painted pale blue with a white flash to resemble a 1978 Pursang. The good part is that the bike is generally in quite good undamaged condition and runs well. It still has an old chevron pattern trials front tyre and the original aluminium front mudguard and mounting stays. I was able to buy a correct seat with a good base and a spare tank and set of sidecovers and am still deciding which tank to use. It is very good to see such clear photos of a bike such as yours for when I paint the tank and sidecovers. Yours is the first I have seen with "BULTACO" on the sides of the fuel tank. Was that standard on yours?

I can't quite see what footpegs you have used on yours. Where I ride the safety rules require folding pegs so I will probably make up a set to fit the standard mounting locations for Post Classic competition events.

More news later

Bye for now

Regards

David Lahey

Australia