Aussi Peter.......

mich lin

First off, let me give you a big thanks for giving us the Americas Cup back. Next, I've always enjoyed your TDN team, you are a fun bunch.

Question, why is there no OZ round of the world trials championship? The contenent of Europe hosts over 80% of the world trials championship.

Why not spred the rounds around a little more? I've been to Sidney, there is some great trials riding mountains just outside of the city. You guys could do a really great world round.

What's the story?

Lane, sorry to burst your bubble but the Swiss have the America's Cup. (Which is engraved The America Cup after the name of the first Yacht to win it.)

The reason the land of OZ has not yet conducted a round of the World Trials Championship is simple, cost. The cost to conduct a World Round in Australia which could be dove tailed into the USA and Japan legs is beyond what a promotor could expect to recover.

The Australia market is only around 140 bikes a year and as such the importers can not help much as they already support the local scene as you would expect.

You would also have to question the volume of spectators that might turn up. Yes Australia conducts the best Moto GP, Superbike and Formula 1 events in the world but could we get the numbers to satisfy the sponsors?

I have heard riders talk about getting the TdN here but it would be cheaper to hold a world round here as the riders have the support of sponsors and manufacturers to assist them in making the trip where a lot of TdN teams need to find most of the money themselves and organise new bikes for just one event. They could not afford to ship a new bike here then back to their home or send it back to the factory.

PA

You have no heart!!!

If a few of us donned ned kelly helmets and rounded up people at train stations we could get plenty of spectators!!!!

Fact is we just wouldn't want anyone to see South Australia :P That's why you are trying keep us out of the WTC and a home round of the TdN :P:D;):o

I luv SA people....

Well the ones that make wine anyway :hl:

BJDownunder (obviously not from SA)

Edited by downunder

Only 140 bikes a year! Wow your team is tuff considering the tiny number of riders you have. Say, Why can't all the former British colonies like Canada, USA and OZ combine into one TDN team?

The point I'm making is that the Euros get over 80% of the rounds,its little wonder they win the championship. Most of us can't afford to travel to the world rounds, even if one of our riders was the best.

When you think of it, you have to give Fugi credit for pulling off a world championship. Being that he's from half way around the world like us.

:D Thats pretty funny R2 - not quite accurate but there has been some old fashioned smuggling done over the past few years especially with GG - Fortunately for me ( As a dealer) I'm able to combat this with my good humour and devilish charm !!!!!! To answer your question Paul I would guess at about 140 per annum all brands. - However the market has been pretty flat for the past couple of years and it's all your fault !!

Guatemala is planning to host a WR in 2007, and the Central American market is smaller than Oz or Canada, I'll bet. If there is the desire and the passion to make it happen, it can be made to happen. I think there are people at FIM that would like to see more worldwide events outside Europe.

Just posted a progress report on the 06 US round of the WTC at www.trialstrainingcenter.com if anyone is interested. And if you have the passion to help with an event, just come on down to TN this winter and I will give you a job!

dan brown

We would love to hold a world round here in western australia unfortunatly we observe according to the rule book, therefore i'm afraid the minders would have to change there gardening routines. All front end loaders would be locked away in the carpark before the event, and the amount of leniency with roll backs would be the same across the board and not reletive to the riders world ranking or the volume of their minder!!!!!!!

Just an observation from another sport.

Bicycle moto cross uses a "double points" event concept for some championship rounds to attrract more entries. All finishing positions recieve double the normal number of championship points that a regular championship round would award.

To promote European entries to non-European rounds the FIM could do the same and award double world championship points for away from Europe rounds. Far away places like Japan, USA, Guatamala, Australia or anywhere else they wanted to promote new venues and attract entries.

For example, if a normal finishing position awarded 20 points, at a double points round it would award 40 championship points.

BMX (in its purest form) is totally dominated by the USA. That "double point" thing (if true - I haven't researched it to be honest) is no doubt simply an attempt to drag American riders out of their comfort zone and justify calling it a "world" championship.

Trials is different and although the sport currently dominated by 3 countries at the highest level, remember that one of those countries is Japan and that's a hell of a long way from both Silsden and Barcelona. We all know that there are several world-class riders in the US (as demonstrated by the TDN result) and to suggest that they or any other nationality of competitor should be able to score double the normal championship points at selected rounds simply because they're not European is an insult to their abilities.

This BMX idea to draw entries to under supported events, is a benifit to Europeans as much as it would be to non-European riders. Everyone would be equal!

If someone is going to absorb the expense of travel all the way from Europe for a non-European world round. They would recieve a bigger benifit for their efforts than someone who only travels a few hours from one European country to another.

If you like a good bet, I'll give you odds that the Europeans will dominate a double points events organized outside of Europe.

A double points event is simply organized to attract more entries. Not give someone an unfair advantage.

Edited by Mich Lin