Tappets

fred_savage

Hi Fred, on mine checked valve clearance when they became reluctant to start when hot (third or fourth kick not first kick). My 06 Repsol was after 54 trials (200 riding hours) and inlet were OK but exhaust were at the tight end of spec and immediate improvement in hot start after adjustment. My 2014 RR 260 was becoming difficult to start when hot and also very jerky motor response at low revs after 71 trials (logged as 314hrs.) On the '14 all valve clearances were at the tight end of the spec (i.e .03 under nominal value) but still just in the range given in the manual. Adjusted to the slack end of the range and an immediate significant improvement. I have to say the change in the 260 was not only in hot starting but the motor was so much smoother at the bottom end, it was like riding a different bike. My experience has been that the clearances are better set at the wide end of the quoted range and that they have remained stable for a long period after initial adjustment. It is a bit of a painful job getting to the tappets removing the injector etc. especially if some of the wiring connectors are reluctant to separate, they are hard to get hold of the connector body and I don't like to pull on the wiring loom -- no excuse but that is why I have not done them as regularly as maybe should. Good luck

At what point did you first check tappet clearance?

I've checked 3 new bikes (two 250s and one 260) after the initial breakin. Maybe 6 hours of use.

What did you find?

All three were within specification.

Adjustment required?

No.

After that, I check them every year or two, depending on amount of use. In those checks, also usually within specification, but the intakes may be on the tight side of the range. So I adjust them to the loose side of the range, since the intakes tighten.

That's for regular riding. If you pin it like Fujigas for huge obstacles, or run at high rpm for big distances between sections, you may want to check more frequently and will probably have more adjustment.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 1