Adjusting chain

wispyone

Putting my bike back together and unsure how much slack to have in the chain. Any easy way to get it right?

Also in the picture is the tensioner bolt, i took the picture before taking it all apart. That's when I noticed that the chain rubs the bolt. Should there be a gap?

Cheers 

Richard

Screenshot_20171013-163806.png

2 hours ago, oni nou said:

The chain should not rub the bolt on the tensioner much although sometimes it will catch it ocassionaly.

The correct tension on the chain is obtained when the gap between the top outer surface of the plastic tensioner block and the underside of the rear swing arm is approx. 2cm or you can slide your finger into the gap between the two..........if you pull the tensioner down away from the swing arm having used that measurement then you will see that there is quite a lot of slack in the chain.to allow for the movement of the swingingarm.

As it stands at the moment the plastic of the tensioner is actually touching the underside of the swing arm. Or it was when on the stand. Will check tomorrow with wheels on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waynerobshaw said:

Hi Richard,

As Oni has already said, the the tensioner block should be about 2cm off the swing arm.  Have you changed now to a smaller rear sprocket and shortened the chain?

Hope you're having fun! :)

Cheers,

Wayne.

Evening Wayne.

Loving the bike, iv put a 42 tooth on the rear and taken 2 links out of the chain. Hope to get it down to Bumpy some time this week to see how it feels