Premix Oils - Which One And Why?

motomax

:D So many choices? I have a new 250 Pro and plan on using Klotz Super Techniplate w/20% castor. Used this last year in my 300 Pro with good luck. The motor was stripped at the end of the season and I could wipe the deposits off the piston and head. Everyone has their favorite, I would like to know why and what have you found when using them? I have used Torco, Motul, Ipone, Spectro and Maxima, None gave me trouble but I like the smell of the Klotz best. The extra cushion the castor provides is attractive to me.

Hi Motomax,I don't think we have Klotz in the Uk so can't comment on that. I've used Ipone (very sticky) and Putoline in the last four years. The Putoline seems ok but I guess one good quality oil is the same as another if you have the mixture right.If you're bothered by the smell the you can get a strawberry scented Putoline; though hard to distinguish on a damp sunday morning amongst 130+ riders in Yorkshire!

I settled on Bel-Ray H1R. The primary reason is that all of the bike shops in Phoenix carry it. No special trips across town to get supplies. I'm sure that all of the modern synthetic pre-mix oils designed for racing are plenty good.

These bikes are so lightly stressed I'm sure you could run lawnmower oil in them and have no problems. That said, I use Motul 800 2T. I've used lots of different oils over the years in my MX and enduro bikes and always end up back with Motul.

Bean oil does smell nice though :) ...then again, so does good race fuel :D