Hodaka Trials

jaylael

Not much that's newsworthy right now up here as were in the grip of winter snow at my house, there are no trials for a month or so, so I'm thinking about project bike. Just out of boredome I thought I'd post a pic from the "Hodaka Days fun trial" which will be coming up on it's third year this coming June in Athena Or. As you can see the terrain is not the most challenging thing you've evr seen. I am one of the guys in charge of laying out the sections for this event which promises to become a classic. Every year more people are building Hodaka trials bikes. The estimate for 2004 is thirty riders. With this in mind I am planning to build some sections in advance, perhaps swing a load of logs to take over to Athena and lay out for section material. There is a gravel bank and a ditch with an ancient wooden pipeline in it, but not much more. Anyhow Yee Haw, Jay L. Ps, my picture from the trial was too large a file to be uploaded.

post-13-1069768103.jpg

Edited by JayLael

Hey Jay:

I'm sure I mentioned it to you before, but I have a Hodaka trials bike sitting out back in the shop! Bought it for a project way back in the early 90's. It ran Ok back then when I bought it, but haven't touched it since. If and when I find the time to restore it, I'd love to come down for the Hodie Ho down.

Cheers, Steve

Steve: Get that thing running! I had no idea you had a Hodie! Wow! So the downside of this is that every spring just like clockwork it (Hodaka days) falls on the same weekend as Superstars at Ioco. This year the Hodaka Days event is on June, 25th, 26th and 27th. Check your calendar and let me know when superstars is. I'd be amazed if they aren't on the same day. As the trials marshall, trials school teacher, and top Hodaka rider I'd sure like to duke it out in Athena with the Fraceman. Just the thought of it's got me grinning right now! Could this actaully happen? The mind reels. The Hodaka fun trials, bike show, parade and swap meet is the coolest thing for any Hodaka lovers. It is truly a spectacle and this year will include a scrambles race for only Hodaka bikes. Paul Stannard at strictly Hodaka www.strictlyhodaka.com has reprint posters right now with the Bullfog on them in the form of a slick paper flyer which also features my picture on the back page very small. I'd try and get him to send me one if I had any interests in Hodaka trials bikes or Hodaka days. Give Paul whatever he wants for one of these posters. Later, Jay L.

A photo of the original Hodaka bullfrog built at Athena oregon by a collaboration of Hodaka engineers, around 1970. It uses a Sarecen frame. (note the solid footpegs)When it was originally built it had a mechanical front disc brake and a black frame. This photo was taken when Leon Wilbanks donated it to Strictly Hodaka's museum. It has since been restored to perfection, including a snowmobile disc on the front, and new paint. Also I don't remember it having a TL 125 rear wheel. It had a Hodaka hub laced to DID rims on both ends. At that time such rims were not obtainable unless you bought an XL 250 to get them. I suspect there's an old silver "motosport 250" running around with steel rims on it somewhere. I keep hoping Paul will bring the bike to Hodaka days.

post-13-1070161463.gif

Edited by JayLael

I still have dreams of building a Hodaka Trials bike. I had a brand new 1970 Ace100b way back when. I still watch for one and will find one eventually. For now I'll just have to be content with my rebuilt from the ground up 74 TY250.

post-13-1071464223.jpg

Edited by Ridgrunr

Ridge: There was a guy at Chehalis vintage trial this summer with a '74 TY 250 with a DT 400 B engine in it. He had removed every other cyl. fin and built it a handmade alloy fuel tank. It was really powerfuland used a flywheel weight and giant rear sprocket. It must've been pretty much a handful to ride I'd think. I could picture a broken leg just looking at it.

400cc? Wow! I figured my GG321 was big. I can't imagine what sort of flywheel he had to put on it to slow it down enough to really ride it, then what would he do with that power? I wonder what it weighed? I've shaved off every bit of weight on my TY that I could and have it down to to just under 200 pounds. It actually works pretty good. The motor is a little slower than today's bikes, but other than that it's pretty competitive. It was fun building it. I'm still looking for that Hodaka though. I still have the original sales brochere for a 1970 SuperRat.

I wonder which would make the better Trials bike, a 100cc or the 125cc? Isn't the pic you posted of HR's a 125? Cylinder looks like it is.

The Bullfrog photo shows the bike AFTER the snowmobile mechanical disk brake was ash-canned. It "just did not cut it and the front suspension was wimpy. Replaced with Yamaha 250 mx units." Quote from the original owner of the FIRST Bullfrog - Leon Wilbanks. It had a prototyped/ R&D Dept. large bore engine - something like 150 to 170cc.

My own Bullfrog has a 125cc reeded engine with added flywheel weight and a custom built frame which relied heavily on the original Saracen frame geometry.

The "trail tuned" 100cc Hodaka engines would be pretty good for trials (with added flywheel weight) and reed valve (if you want it) - but there is no substitute for the extra 25 cc's.

Ed