Engine size

Hutdog

Hi all, ive decided to buy a trials bike and im after advice as to what i need. (Bike wise, not weightwatchers!) Im 6’ and 18 stone so im presuming 125 bikes probably wont be great for me, but i dont want to end up with anything thats going to be a unnecessary handful. 

Any help is appreciated 

Hi mate, and welcome. I'm pretty new to trials myself, and a similar height and build......although a little lighter.....but not much :-)

I picked up a 200 Sherco which has been ideal, with enough power to get me up anything I'm likely to tackle, but tame enough not to bite you without warning.

If you're not too far away, theres a great practice ground near Mold/Wrexham which is well worth a trip or visit a local trial and speak to some of the people there. Thats what I did earlier this year and found them a pretty friendly bunch.

Hope this helps!

A 250 might be better for you, although a 200 would do you might find that with your physical size the slightly larger engine will tend to give you more control and not be quite so rev your. Even a 125 could give you a fun time but it depends upon the type of terrain you are riding, wet and boggy you will need a bigger engine. Join a club, make some contacts and possible blag a go in a few different bikes. Talking to club members will provide you with invaluable information and good guidance. You may find that due to your size you gel with a bigger engine say a 300. But try before you invest in the wrong bike, what suits one doesn’t mean it’s fit you.

There is no substitute for displacement but other than slow lugging uphills engine is really secondary for most things a beginner will be doing. Suspension setup with heavier springs will actually pay off more. Having said that I like my 300 for crawling around bunny sections but I’ve done much to tame it. The 200 is a very popular bike around here with the senior crowd but few are as heavy as you. Much depends on where you ride i.e. road or strickly tight trails. Try as many bikes as you can. That’s really the only way to figure out what suits you but it is generally easier to tame a strong running bike than it is to squeeze more out of a tamer  engine.