Evo 2010 front spring

user7743

Hi all,

I am soon going to be tearing my forks down for a refresh. The bike is a 2010 Evo 250 two stroke. I have read that the 2010/2011 fork spring isn't so good and can collapse pretty "quickly". What I am looking for is what is the best replacement? I have seen that trials and tribulations in the UK offer an uprated progressive spring. I have also seen people say take a later "standard" Evo spring from 2012 on. Any hints on what the best options are? If its the standard Evo spring, does year make any significant difference or just "post 2011"?

Thanks in advance.

Go with the progressive springs, you get smoother and predictable action. In any case all suspension springs will eventually sag, collapse or break due to the life they have to lead. If the manufacturer used better quality material in the first place you would still end up with the springs becoming weakened and softening to a lesser extent. Secretly some works riders will ditch the springs after a few rounds and fit new or different rated springs. A main reason for poor handling on any bike be it road, track or whatever is the springs going off song....weakening...that’s both ends.

9 hours ago, section swept said:

Go with the progressive springs

Thanks for the input. I figured after 8 years of use they could do with a refresh (front and rear) regardless of Beta upping the quality in the later years. I also have no idea when they were last serviced, I have only had the bike since spring. My tendency was also towards the progressive - if only because of the weight rating. They are probably better suited than a standard spring. The choices for the rear seem to be a little easier to decode.

If you're not a skinny little dude a set of heavier springs with less preload is the way to go. I'm not well versed on progressive vs linear fork springs and the rear has a rising rate linkage so it's progressive even with a linear spring.  Just make sure the front and rear work together because if one is stiffer than the other the handling can get rather interesting.