Fantic 300 Alternative Tank

pjw123

Hi folks,

Any one out there replaced the standard black tank/side panels with an alternative. Can tanks from other models be made to fit ??. Don't mind modifying frame, etc. I don't have original tanks or side panels, & to be truthful, they add to the overall bulkiness of the bike. Building it up to ride, so keen to utilise current set up/ mods. 

many thanks.  

On 3/30/2019 at 6:10 PM, pjw123 said:

Hi folks,

Any one out there replaced the standard black tank/side panels with an alternative. Can tanks from other models be made to fit ??. Don't mind modifying frame, etc. I don't have original tanks or side panels, & to be truthful, they add to the overall bulkiness of the bike. Building it up to ride, so keen to utilise current set up/ mods. 

many thanks.  

Hell yeah, did it years ago mainly because my boots hooked under the shrouds at the most inopportune times and ripped them off leaving them flaying mid section.  Fibreglass tank and alloy side covers from Delay in Spain solved it all. I had to buy a 240 style grommet/spacer setup for the top of tank fixing from elsewhere however, I think it was this other mob in France, I'll post some links at the end of this.

The delay tank and side panels are excellent quality and are way more shiney(clear gloss coat) than the pics depict, petrol spilt many times over them and no probs with the paint finish plus your steering lock is way better due to the slimmer lines, I still suffered from the boots hooking the alloy side panels and dislodging them occasionally but this was only when crouching super low and then springing the body to get over an obstacle. My riding friends suggested this was because of the low height of the Sidi boots I wear which in hindsight is probably correct but, I like them too much to change boots. I have come up with a much more secure fastening system for the side panels since and they are no longer a problem, basically 6mm captive nuts instead of rubber grommets in the frame.

https://www.delaytrial.com/en/tienda/accesorios/adhesivos/kit-adhesivos-y-placas-laterales-aluminio-fantic-300/

https://www.delaytrial.com/en/tienda/accesorios/deposito-fiberglas-pintado-fantic/

http://www.equipementmotard.com/product_info.php?cPath=219_232_257&products_id=3453

http://www.equipementmotard.com/product_info.php?cPath=219_232_257&products_id=3748

002.jpg

003.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant, just what I am looking for. Looks like it was meant to be like that. I'll get on to Delay Trial before UK Gov't  Brexit debacle completely f****s everything up. BTW,  I've rebuilt my motor which came from a 301.  Do you recommend  any tuning tips ???

Many thanks,

PJW

Tuning Tips ? Nothing really engine wise that I'm aware of, my 300 was a low usage bike when I got it a few years ago and the motor has never been apart. I pulled the Dellorto apart when I got it purely out of curiosity to see if jetting was std, which it was. I just gave it a thorough internal clean and replaced needle and seat and jet needle for the sake of having it apart. It runs very well with the standard jetting, the 300 has no reed valve and runs the PHBH 26 BS, not sure if your 301 is the same? I've made numerous other changes to it over the years being suspension and yokes/geometry but that just comes down to personal preference and I did install a magura hydraulic clutch system which I really like (sorry purists).  The brakes are also very good for drums and I enjoy riding it nearly as much as my modern GG ('14) except for the weight, 25+ KG difference between these old beauties and modern bikes but there's not much we can do about that.