1996 JTR Gas Gas 250

Tilly60

Hi, just purchased the above bike it’s in fairly good condition for age

a couple of questions please, 

Should the clutch stick like the Beta ones, if so can it be addressed same removing glue between material ?

What’s the petrol mix to oil ?

oil for gearbox type ?

link to servicing and repairs 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Tilly60 said:

Hi, just purchased the above bike it’s in fairly good condition for age

a couple of questions please, 

Should the clutch stick like the Beta ones, if so can it be addressed same removing glue between material ?

What’s the petrol mix to oil ?

oil for gearbox type ?

link to servicing and repairs 

Thanks in advance

I have rock oil in the gearbox and I'm mixing petrol two stroke at 100mil to 5 litres using fully synthetic oil. Due the the age of my GasGas (1995) I prefer slightly richer than some. My clutch also sticks and I have just started to tape the leaver back to the bars to allow the oil to get between the plates more. What's the fix you talk about?

I had a Beta 2002 200 and with all betas until the engine gets hot when you engage it lurches forward, so I went on this site and found the better fix

you take the plates out and file the gaps between the clutch materials to remove the glue, as when the plates wear the glue makes it stick

put it into this site, Tate a couple of hours and made mine 80%better

thanks for other info, looking forward to tackling it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've taken the clutch apart this afternoon and did as you suggested. Removed any glue or crud from the gaps between the friction material on each clutch plate. I've put in Pennzoil 5w30  none synthetic oil I will see if it's an improvement in the coming weeks. I think the water pump is weeping in to the gearbox as the oil was looking a bit milky when draining it, also small bits on the magnetic sump plug, so it's best to change it and keep an eye on it?

IMG_20190807_191813.jpg

11 hours ago, Tilly60 said:

Mines better, and same think seals gone on water pump

where are you getting new one from please

ta 

Try either GasGas UK in Buxton Derbyshire or Trials &Tribulations Ltd in Church Stretton Shropshire. I'm running a oil petrol mix of 75mil to 5 Litres which is 66:1, I think non synthetic two stroke oil works better in these older bikes at that ratio.

I've just stripped down the radiator off bike to fix the fan. I bought a eBay fan to replace it( cut n glue job) to find out it's just one of the connectors in the power, it had pushed out of the connection block.so it wasn't making a connection... Boy do I feed daft for not checking the connector first. Plus side it's got new antifreeze in it now... Still might have a weeping water pump though.

I have found oil in the water “ clumps” around filler and by water pump which I think means it’s been leaking a while.

there are so many different combos out there for petrol to oil mix, confused really, some say non some say synthetic putoline strawberry mix, 

confused really as when I bought it had some in but lad didn’t know what he’d put in in ?

I've just bought some mineral two stroke oil from Screwfix to try, I've mixed 75 mil to 5L.  (60:1) It's worth a try to see how it runs on the mix. Otherwise I have a large amount of fuel for the strimmer ?. We also put in a new master seal kit in the clutch lever yesterday. The next thing will be a new clutch... Plus water pump repair kit from trials and tribulations I think we will try ATF when we do drop in a new clutch as I've heard it solves a lot of issues. Have you heard anything about using ATF in the GasGas.

No I’ve not heard owt about ATF

i am gonner try the putoline strawberry mix and will let you know

ive had the pump cover off, all seems to be ok, tried an o ring at back of impeller again will see what happens

going to try and get fan to kick in this week and test it out

love prattling about ?

FB181CF6-8487-40D5-83F5-8C748DA30821.jpeg

E778D7A3-C2C5-4A45-B69B-F7AD67195C10.jpeg

Check the connector as mine had 1 of the pins not making contact causing the fan not to work. I only discoverd it once I had it in bits and tested via a battery, I tried a jumper wire on the thermostat wires to make a circuit while the engine was running, but the fan didn't run. That's why I took it to pieces to replace the original fan with another from eBay for a tenner. But didn't need to do anything other than push a connector in the block...