2000 Txt280 Cylinder Head?

oregon rider

I have a 2000 txt280 and a friend of mine has a 2002 txt280 edition (same bike) Mine has an exhaust "bark" and seems to have higher compression than his bike.

Did they go to a lower compression head in 2002? Will adding base gaskets get me to the same compression as my friend's bike or do I need to mill the head or get a newer head?

The reason I want lower compression is to have smoother power delivery and also have the bike more quiet. I could ride it in a field at work during lunch if the exhaust note wasn't so sharp. It's a new silencer - so no, it's not just a repack that's needed...

thanks,

jeff

Edited by oregon rider

It won't help with the bark, but if you are trying to tame the power a bit, I switched to the black throttle tube (slower.. from 96degree rotation to 124 I think). It helped this mere mortal, and its a lot cheaper ($20 or less) than digging into the motor. Its a lot better, but next I'm trying a 10 tooth front sprocket, just cause I want 1st a bit lower and to be able to use 3rd more.

The mid muffler does have packing in it, but unfortunately is not built to be re-packed. It is possible for a skilled welder to cut it apart, replace the packing, and weld it back together. I think most people just try to give the bike a good hard run once in a while to clean it out, if they worry about it at all. It's hard to say if yours is clogged up or not, I just thought it might be a possibility. Bruce

Quickly,

3 things I can think of that smothens out the power delivery of any bike...

1 time. as the bike gets ridden, piston rings wear, less compression smoother she gets, plus mufflers fill with gook and stuff.

2 spark tuning/timing, on the txt you can adjust the timing yourself I did that on my 321 retarded the timing.

3 mods, boysen type fiber reeds and changing deck height (gaskets under the Jugg, etc. and year model changes....

BTW in number 3, they probably tweaked the porting in cylinders and that kind of stuff. I know the 99 321 steel mid muffler 00 had alum, who knows what else different they had between production runs, I would bet.

you ever take off the reed cage (of course when you have the cylinder off the bike) I was told there is a lot of flashing you can remove in there to semi-port the intake cavity. since I didnt do that job myself I would prefer to refer you to a competant trials/gasgas mechanic before just grinding away!