walkertrials

Rear tyre size?

I'm recreating the bike my Dad built for me in the 60's I have a standard bantam 18 incch rear wheel currently fitted with a 3 inch road tyre my question is will this rim accept a 4 inch wide tyre or do I go for a 3.5 tyre. Swing Arm is a Triumph factory trials wide.

20200228_122942.jpg

You should be OK with 4 inch. You can space the sprocket left slightly by putting a washer between it and the hub then counterboring the sprocket slightly to clear the brake plate (mine wore it's self one but this was 30 years ago, nowadays I would put it on the lathe).

Teamferret thanks it is a wide swing arm & now you've said the s/h sprocket I have bought is counter bored, but is a 4 inch tyre OK on this rim?

How wide is the rim, as wider the rim is as better will be the footprint of the trials tire?

2,15 is a good width, anything less - as twinshockes and most air cooled monos had,
is not as good in terms of traction.

Twinshocks and air cooled monos had often just 1,85 as rim width.

Edited by pschrauber

It will go on, but you might find it difficult to keep it on if you run really low pressures, it will slip back into the well of the rim

Teamferret thanks should be OK then to ride to sections when observing & do the odd dead easy trial I can leave a bit more air in, thanks.