Issues with Fan

mercuryrev

Just picked up a 2017 300 which runs very nicely aside from the fan coming on within a few minutes of starting.

The weather is very hot here at the moment, but the bike doesn't seem to be hot enough for the fan to come on. Once on the fan also speeds up when I rev the bike, then cuts out only to come back on a few seconds later.

Never had a Gasser before, is this normal? Or could I have a dodgy switch?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, misscrabstick said:

I have a Beta but that to me is pretty normal behaviour in hot weather, I checked mine with a temp probe once, the fan comes on at a pretty low temperature.

1 hour ago, misscrabstick said:

The speeding up with revs is pretty usual, the engine makes a bit more volts above tickover, consequently the fan runs a little faster.

Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough I've nearly always had a Beta and never really experienced the fan being on so much as this. Once the bike had been running for 15 minutes or so and then in some tight sections, but this is within two minutes of starting the bike and riding it.

Thanks again, perhaps as you say, it's the warm weather here.

Or perhaps the fan is on because the bike is too hot (regardless of the air temperature)? Have you verified the amount and state of the coolant? Have you checked the water pump (as I've heard that the impeller blades can deteriorate)? Have you inspected the coolant channels in the cylinder (perhaps they're partially blocked)?

14 hours ago, d2w said:

Or perhaps the fan is on because the bike is too hot (regardless of the air temperature)? Have you verified the amount and state of the coolant? Have you checked the water pump (as I've heard that the impeller blades can deteriorate)? Have you inspected the coolant channels in the cylinder (perhaps they're partially blocked)?

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked the coolant level and it's fine, I'm hoping that as I bought the bike from the only shop in about 200kms, they know what they're doing?! The mechanic there is an ex factory guy and aside from the fan, the bike runs beautifully.

I'm riding with the local trials club this weekend and as they all ride Gassers, (aside from one guy, but they still speak to him......) so I'm sure they'll put me right!

Oh, and another obvious check ... verify that the radiator fins are not plugged/obstructed (say by dirt/dried mud). It's all a pretty simple system, but it's no less critical for the correct operation of your bike.