Trials Scoring

joe315r

I just watched the "Sunday" DVD from TrialsTV ,, and as one of many clear examples, Fuji , on lap one section 10 dabbed twelve times, yet he was given a score of 3. Is there some grade inflation going on here?

Edited by joe315r

A three point deduction is the most number of points that can be given for dabbing in a section so he could have dabbed 100 times and still receive a three for his efforts. This has been normal practice for decades. For clarification check the rule book for trials events in your area. :D

Foe the ultimate rule bender and all-time escaper, look back at some old footage of Marc Colomer at some of the European rounds. Some of the stuff that he managed to 'getaway with' is jaw-dropping. Go back to some 1998-2000 stuff to see what I mean.

You got the video you bought from me on Ebay then? :D

Lets hope this poster is just trying to be funny. But whats not funny is the number of people wishing that trials was NO_STOP ,,tell me how do you get square and balanced and get the bike cleaned out to attack the 7 foot undercut ledge? Yeah thats right they have never tried it and may barely have a clue how,other thing is many of these folks are scoring for the World Riders even moving kickers out of sections for the 15 foot splatters .Its like hey they can do the impossible lets make sure it is (impossible).I think the stop w/ penalty was more about getting rid of the big straight rollbacks of the Jordi and Eddy Lejuene days .Now I think w/ the time limit the sections flow well enough to please spectators so why change? The hard part of scoring is how do you call a big slide sideways and backwards on a hard obstacle if the rider goes from the spot the bike settled from and gets over log or rock is that a 5? Even tougher is when the handlebar hits the ground its a 5 but leaning on a tree or rock face is a 1 at what angle does the bike or rock have to be before its a crash ???

I agree , observers have a very tough job. My six year old son "observes " for me and some friends on informal practice rides. And nothing gets past his eyes. And there is no way you can win an argument with a six year old. Unless you happen to be their parental unit.

I guess at the world level they don't use crossing your own line rule.  There is a great example of this non-call on section one, day one, female montesa rider.

That's a really awkward rule. I've just watched it and wound it back and forth a few times. You have to actually cross with both wheels (ie. the rule is that you can't cross your tracks with more than one wheel). Even running it in slow motion it's hard to tell if her front wheel ever actually crosses its own track. Looks like Laia's pretty careful to run the front wheel right along the tape, so you can understand why an observer may not pick up on it.

We had a section at Hawkstone where there was some advantage from crossing your own line, and the minders would put their foot exactly where the wheel passed, so there was no doubt when the rider came back.

Not sure I would have called it.