Majesty 250

pitley

did a lot of messing about with my majesty forks,the best way is to remove springs and fully compress forks fill to 5" from top with 15w oil,then add or remove spring packers to suit,the amount of packers will depend on how buggered your springs are,mine needed 1" hope this helps !!

did a lot of messing about with my majesty forks,the best way is to remove springs and fully compress forks fill to 5" from top with 15w oil,then add or remove spring packers to suit,the amount of packers will depend on how buggered your springs are,mine needed 1" hope this helps !!

Be careful when adding additional preload to TY250 springs because they are close to coil binding when fully compressed with standard preload. Better springs than Yamaha springs are available for twinshock TY250s from B&J Racing in the US. They have a higher rate, decent coil spacing and work brilliantly together with 5WT and 10 WT fork oil for my 88kg.

The 5" oil measurement technique works very well and when done properly is more accurate for keeping both sides the same than measuring the volume and assuming that both sides are equally "empty" to start with.

It's a good idea to do a travel check after fiddling with oil levels and preload. To do this fit a cable tie on one fork tube above the dirt scraper and with the caps off, move the forks to full compression position ie metal to metal. Measure the position of the cable tie from the lower fork clamp.

Then get the bike ready to ride and slide the cable tie down a bit and go for a ride where you can really load up the forks ie a decent drop off. If you aren't getting the cable tie back to the position it was with the caps off, there is something unnecessarily limiting your fork travel. The problem may be that the fork oil level is too high in one or both sides, or the springs are coil binding (coils are touching together).

• 10 months later...