Dave Crofts

Good evening everyone, having been absent from trials since the 90's, I decided to get back into it with classics of my era. I've plodded on a gas gas JTR recently, but decided to dig out my old Ossa. As you see she needs a total restoration job, but before I start I want to find out exactly what it is. The frame/engine numbers match suggesting a 79 TR 77 250cc. However there are a few issues. The lugs for the rear suspension look like they were cut and lowered! The front end may be wrong, check out the yokes, wheel etc. Other than that no spark, but the lump feels good. Would like to fire it up to listen to it. I've a pair of lovely gold wheels for it but is it what it says etc. Frame/Engine number is B-700001! Note clutch lever. Note flat sprocket. Thank you for your help.   

Sent you a reply to your facebook post but this is it pasted below

The serial number begining 70 is a TR77 Verde 250cc. That serial number doesn't appear on any of the ID charts. The top shock mounts have been moved down but not by much, up to one inch maybe as originally they were just below the top sidepanel screw. I'm not sure what the grinding would be at the top of the tube as there was nothing there on that side on a Verde

The forks and yokes are from a MAR, the forks are MK2 MAR. They are shorter than the TR77 forks by about 2 inches. Most riders raised the forks in the yokes on the TR77 by roughly the same amount to reduce the chopper effect of the longer forks, so using earlier MAR forks serves the same purpose. The rest of the bike looks to be as it should

The pinch bolts and bar clamp bolts are 7mm thread on those yokes. I think the rear shock mounts are 7mm on the TR77 also

Front wheel is from an ealrier model, probably MK2 MAR as well, as the Verde had a gold rim although the wheels are the same on both apart from rim colour

Brilliant thank you. Yes, there has been a dreadful job done around the shocker mounts. Both sides are cut out from the top for some reason, right in the angle. I thought is was a frame switch originally. I'm quite happy to keep the forks although they need hard chroming, as usual! Looks as though it was ridden as intended and appears well sorted for work, to that again is something to look at. Thankyou for the 7mm sizes, that's good to get right.. The clutch lever is longer than intended, possibly off an earlier one to make it easier to lift.  Odd about the frame number, it matches the engine see below. Wonder why its not in the records? Many thanks Dave. 

IMG_5793.JPG