Setting The Timing On A 2005 290

andy_290

Hi Lads,

My Sherco decided to engage reverse gear on Sunday :hyper:

I spoke to MRS and Appleyards who were both pretty confident it was the timing.

I've purchased a flywheel puller, but the RYP guide says I need a dial indicator and a timing pin to be able to set the timing back to the factory settings.

Does anyone know where I can get them from?

And any tips for setting the timing? It's the first time I've ever done anything like this :D

Cheers

Andy

http://www.sherco-moto.com/downloads/wayne...iming_Guide.pdf

try this link for info on timing.You could use a drill for a pin.Dial gauges can be bought from any good tool shop or engineers merchants,but ther`re not cheap.Might be a good idea to ask your mates,somebody will have one.What you do is measure TDC using the dial gauge,then put the pin through the hole on in the fly wheel,it should match up with a hole in the stator plate.I have an 04,these dont have any alighnment holes,im assumed it stopped at the 03 models.

Good luck :hyper:

i`m only assuming there are no holes because i have just had to replace my stator on my 04 290,there are no alighnment holes on that.The new stator came with a line scribed on the outside wich lined up with a machined lug.

I had to ring rathmells at harrogate,they were extremely helpfull.Would recomend you do the same if you are having problems.

cheers,Steve

Edited by gasgasssser

The later models have a different ignition system and is checked by using a strobe light on the timing marks. I'm sure there is an additional download on the Sherco website for late 03 and 04 models, I would think the 05 will be the same.I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Just remove the flywheel and inspect the key. If it is stripped as expected just replace it and put it back together. Be sure the stator plate is secure and go on as the timing itself has not changed from factory, only the flywheel.

There is a mark on the stator plate(at the top) that roughly alighns with the right edge of the top web of the case as I recall. don't mess if not needed!

MC

• 2 weeks later...

All ahead full today, no reverse at all thanks to the new stator.

Been to Barnsley today, awesome there, they tape the sections up.

Managed to do 4 laps without breaking down, must change my signature....

Edited by Andy_290

• 2 weeks later...

Those unlucky lads who have had to replace a Leonelli stator wouldn't happen to have the old one lying around for posterity would they ..or was it heaved at Senor Leonelli Lucas?

Looking for the inner diameter of a 2.50/2.9 flywheel magnet, or the outside dia of the stator laminations as wondering whether the 1.25 uses a different smaller dia stator?

Thanks guys.

Not positive about the Leonelli but i know on the previous Ducati systems tha weight was removed from the outer radius of the flywheel diameter for the 1.25 and the rest was essentially the same.

I would suspect that the Leonelli systems are very similar.

Those unlucky lads who have had to replace a Leonelli stator wouldn't happen to have the old one lying around for posterity would they ..or was it heaved at Senor Leonelli Lucas?

Looking for the inner diameter of a 2.50/2.9 flywheel magnet, or the outside dia of the stator laminations as wondering whether the 1.25 uses a different smaller dia stator?

Thanks guys.

I've got my old one somewhere, will have a look tonight for it you. see if I can find it.