Reality of 315R ownership

retromlc

On 3/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, faussy said:

Are you purchasing it purely for the novelty of having a 315? Personally i feel they are overrated, as they were never really the best in class during their time. I feel their slightly elevated price now is just because they are a 2t honda. Don't get me wrong, if you like the bike and want it basically because you want a 315, go for it, but if you have stumbled across it because maybe your budget limits you to an older bike, IMO there are better bikes at a more sensible price than these. The fact you say you are revisiting it, means you had one previously, but its a little unclear what your intentions are. Is it a 2nd bike, or is it going to be your daily driver.

Ive a friend who struggled a lot to find gearbox parts for his 315, 5 years ago

I had a 315R new in 2004 (last of the final batch) and didn't really get with it, so only kept it a year and bought a 4RT which suited me a lot better and still ride 4RT's

4 Years ago I bought a Yamaha TYZ, in excellent condition as I had always wanted one, but never bought one in the 1990's

I love the TYZ and for me it's a far better bike to ride in a Trial than my new 315R ever was, I love riding it and it has a certain classic feel to it, whilst still being a good bike to ride

It's been modified a bit (Ohlins rear shock/AJP front caliper and some frame mods to improve the headstock steering angles, plus footrest hangers) and now rides as well as my 4RT, on natural sections

Edited by johnnyboxer