Birthdays Are Sooooo Excellent !

magicmat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi magicmat,

happy birthday for the other day and congrats on the new bike, Im sure you will love it.

Just a bit more info for you. I have an 03 280 pro and an 05 300 raga and I used to run the mix at 50:1 on the 280. I found that I got a lot of build up of goo in the exhaust system so I run the raga on 75:1 mix and it runs fine with very little build up of oil in the system. I am told it is safe to do it as long as you use good quality oil (I use castrol TTS ) and you dont work the bike hard or do a lot of road work, which you will not as a beginner.Also I would say to you, think about getting a fly wheel weight or head gasket spacer or maybe both if you are just learning as the 280 is the 'liveliest' of the gasgas engines with very snappy power delivery.

Good luck on sunday.

Cheers for the info rhaines,

ill get some more advice, but i will seriouly consider running it leaner,

Im not a total noob, i learnt to ride as a kid etc. But its the wheelies, and the trick riding, and technique that i dont have, EXPERIENCE.

So if i have probs i think ill invest in a slow action throttle 1st and then go from there. :)

Probably retard the timing as thats the cheapest option, :hyper: typical student !

Contrary to earlier advise, do clean and grease the linkage and swingarm. No harm in it and they often come from the factory with little grease in there. Neglecting it can lead to serious headaches down the road...simply no downside to doing it.

I have to agree that with good oil, 75-80:1 is a fine mix ratio and you won't have any troubles. No need for 50:1 unless you plan to roadrace it. :hyper:

Removing the ignition cover after a wet ride or wash is always a good practise. Again, no harm done by doing it, but lots of harm done by not.

Enjoy! ...and Happy Birthday :)

hi again

should i be taking the flywheel cover off to let the flywheel and magneto dry off after washing ??

i havnt been riding it through streams and stuff  :hyper:

Mat

used to have huge amount of problems with water getting in, no matter what i did. the best thing to do is take the flywheel cover off and run the bike, the water will condense and disappear... then silicone the flywheel cover back on around the edge. check it though regularly! :)

cheers Jools,

ill do that after i have washed it, to make sure it starts and all is well, and ill leave the cover off till i next use the bike, which should give it time to dry out, if it didnt by running it,

I asked because ive just had to get a rewind on a stator plate for a 1993 GG. and didnt want to let this thing go this way ! as that would annoy me !!

:)

Hi ned1,

Ive got my 03 in bits at the moment. It is easy to get apart if you have got a decent tool box.

Remove the rear guard and the seat/airbox.

Remove the header pipe from exhaust, rear can and then the centre section.

Remove back wheel and chain.

Take out bolt from top of rear shocker and unclip the rear brake resevoir,remove the bolts holding the rear brake pump in place.

Remove the long bolt that goes through the swingarm and rear of engine and the whole swingarm with rear brake system should come away from the bike with the rear shocker still attached.

You can then service the rear linkages and clean everything up including all the nooks and crannys at the back of the frame that is prone to rusting where mud and stuff builds up wher it is very hard to jet wash or get your hand in to clean normally. You can also clean and tighten the rear brake lever and bolt while the swingarm is off as it is a pain in the a*** to get to normally.

I did this the other day and it took me about an hour to get it apart(ive done it a few times now though so it may take a bit longer).

Have fun.....