How Do I Go About Reg. My Trials Bike?

crash bandit

Most Insurers will give you cover on the frame number.

You then need a certificate of newness or a letter from the importer stating which year the bike was manufactured.

Then you have to present the documents along with a cheque for

do I need to insure it and send the certificate, or can I insure it after I've got a V5? After I get it registered I will then need an MOT. I've heard people talk of daytime MOT's, can anyone explain? What will the bike require for the mot, lights, brake light, horn etc?

Thanks.

Just been through this process for a 1951 Power Pak cyclemotor - the first superbike? :blink:

1 You need to get the bike MOT tested using its frame number - IT MUST BE MOT TESTED

2 Get a declaration of the bikes age from a reputable source - ie someone the DVLA trust - the original importer perhaps, I have no idea who with trials bikes.

3 Get the bike insured using its frame number again - carol Nash or Footman james will know the score. - IT MUST BE INSURED

4 get a form V55/5 from the DVLA or from your LVLA

5 Go the the LVLA with everything and a cheque to cover the cost of livcence and registration fee (

Sounds like a real pain, how long whould you say it will take from start (no paper work) to finish ?

Cheers .. Darren

Get a certificate of newness or a letter from the importer stating the bikes age.

Get the bike MOT'd if it is over three years old.

Pick up a covernote from your broker.

Take the documents to your local DVLA office, together with a utility bill and another form of ID.

If they don't require an inspection (which is not always the case with trials bikes) then you will leave with a reg number and a tax disc.

With my Brand new Beta last year, I did all this in one morning easily, but then I had the cert of newness with the bike and it didn't need an MOT.

The longest amount of time spent overall was in the queue waiting to be served at DVLA, this took two hours or so, and if you miss your spot you have to join the back of the queue.

When I did the same thing with an enduro bike last year, they wanted to see the bike. I made an appointment for the following week, took the bike along at the correct time and 10 minutes later left with the tax disc.

This bike was second hand and the DVLA accepted a letter from Yamaha stating the year of manufacture. They issued an age related plate on that occasion.

Once you have the paperwork it is straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Edited by scorpa3