Where Are All The Ladies

as iow

At the start of this week the IOWMCC had 15 entries for the first round of the ladies British championship on March 12 :P .

If the Ladies don't support thier championship why should clubs bother to organise trials for them, it takes as much effort to put on a trial for 15 as 115 riders. The club even had a beginners route planed, but at the moment we have one section per rider.

Maybe things will improve this week but time is running out. :blink:

Whether it be taking afternoon tea together, or visiting the ballet, Emily and Florence are just two ladies going about their ladylike business, like any other normal ladies.

They certainly do not have time to play around on frightful motorcycles as that would be far to un-ladylike.

Sorry Isle of Wight, but we are Laaaadieees !!!!

Edited by Cleanasawhistle

Well, it is sad to hear this, but...

(sorry if the feminist trials riders out there are offended)

1. There are only a small percentage of riders who wish to partake in a british championship, whether they be male or female riders, and clearly the pool of women riders is smaller

2. Generally, women are less competitive than men and thus will tend to be less interested in a championship, valuing elements such as the social side of sports more than the out and out winning.

3. It takes greater commitment (

I'm afraid that my daughter is one of those who hasn't entered. The reason is quite simple in our case - economics. Becca has decided that she would rather do the Novagar Championship this year, 10 rounds all more traditional one lap events (we'll miss 2 rounds because they clash with more local trials). This is the type of trial she prefers and after all this is a hobby that we do for enjoyment. We only have a certain amount of time and money and therefore have decide to spend it on the events she likes best. She's doing the Scottish and the Loch Lomond two day along with numerous other Nationals - The Bemrose, Cleveland, Jack Leslie Ellis, Gerald Simpson, Reeth 3 Day, Isle of Man etc in fact there are very few weekends without an event.

I'm sorry that we're not supporting the Ladies Championship but sometimes you just have to be selfish and do what you want. If the speed that the entries fill up for the above mentioned trials is anything to go by a lot of people feel the same way.

i would argue there is a lot of riders down south - we have many clubs and no shortage of events in any of the southern centres

But IMHO the "national" scene passes us southerns by as the trials are all way up north, and a greater emphasis is thus places on normal centre events (IMHO)

rabie :blink:

I can understand both sides to this topic as I too am dissappointed to miss out on any of the big 1 lap nationals as these are what I ride in trials for.

However I am looking forward to the IOW, as its a nice change from the usual places like bracken rocks, cheadle etc.

I would have thought that there could have been a few more entries as there are a lot of girls from the south and south east who could easily make the journey to the IOW, and its a shame that the beginners course isnt attracting many as this is where we need to focus our attention...at the roots of the sport.

I think that judging from the posts on here about the youth national on the iow last year, our ladies rounds seems promising, with hopefully a bit more of a challenge than the other rounds :blink: ......please!

Could the ladies championship not be teamed up with anything else? Like the A&B nationals for instance?

Probably upset someone by saying that, but in my opinion it doesn't undervalue it, just makes it more financialy viable and worth the effort for a club to run it, more worthwhile reporters making the journey etc etc.

I'm not even saying that it would have to be the A&B national in particular, just something to bring along some bulk of entries.

Bad idea?? :blink:

we have tried suggesting all sorts of similar ideas in the past but never got anything sorted. In the regs it states that a club may also run 1 other class for any gender along with the ladies eg. a novice class, ty80, twinshock or what ever. However with the exception of the torridge club, no other clubs take up this option. Most clubs use this oppurtunity to put on a gilrs beginners course, this is the best option as I actually think there should be a proper beginners championship class to encourage younger girls to come along.

I think it is a good idea for the club to incorpoate a male class in the event, however it does take away the prestige for the girls, it is nice to have our own events. However we do need more support to raise the profile a bit. Personally I would love the ladies rounds to be incorporated with the a&b's or even the british championship! :blink:

I think it is a good idea for the club to incorpoate a male class in the event, however it does take away the prestige for the girls, it is nice to have our own events. However we do need more support to raise the profile a bit. Personally I would love the ladies rounds to be incorporated with the a&b's or even the british championship! :P

Coming back from a South Western centre championship trial last Sunday, sat on the ferry with Becky (Ladies British Champion). She said ( I think the ladies championship should be included with the youth B championship, because this would be the right level for us). And just out of interest,Josh Stephens from the IOW was 8th in the first round of the youth B championships, and i don't think he has ever beaten Becky in at trial yet,. :blink:

My daughters and I (both are entered for the IOW) have been reading this with interest. A couple of points as nothing more than thought starters really,

1) Having an all girls/ladies event is "special" and I think most of the females enjoy being at an event where the riding is the focal point, not the fact that they are "different"

2) There is a much larger pool of boys/men to draw from when a club runs a youth/British championship and so it is a lot easier to get 75-100 riders of a similar standard, and what the heck if someone comes along and finds it to tough and dosen't come back, it won't make any real difference.

3) In each championship class of the ladies rounds there are 2/3 riders at the top of the game who as Katy say's above want it to be a real challenge, but at the other end the trial needs to not frighten off the other girls/ladies as there are not enough to take their place, a very difficult situation for the course plotters.

Could the solution be in the third class as put on by the IOW and planned for the second round at Lincoln. It has certanly worked in the last couple of years for Surrey who have managed to get nearly as many female riders on this route as they have on the main routes, and some have gone on the following year to have a go at the main event.

The IOW have got this third route but I think it needs to be pushed as a real part of the event not just in the footnotes, it is a bit late now for the IOW and we just hope this years experience will not put them off but make them more determined in the future to make a success of the ladies event, however Lincoln still has a chance to focus on the "support class" and sell the idea of being part of a special day for the ladies to all the girls/ladies who have not entered the IOW event because they feel the championship routes would be a stretch to far. As Katy said this is the grass routes and this is where we need to encourage next years championship riders from, at her training event last year she managed to attract nearly 50 riders so there are plenty available...

Just some thoughts!!!!!!!!

The organisers of this trial know what they are doing,and know the standard, the championship route will be hard enough without being dangerous.

The B route will be fun and the novice route will be for those who have never ridden in a trial before.

We have two ladies riding from the Island who have never ridden in a trial before, so the novice route will be for the like's of them.

We just need more riders to make it a great day out for the Ladies. :blink:

Edited by AS iow

Sorry AS, there was no intent to say that you were in anyway not sure what you are doing, just pointing out that the gap between the top girls and ladies and the bottom end of the score sheet in the championship classes was very difficult for organisers to cater for.

I guess for me it is all about getting the message across that with the two championship routes and your third route it is intended to give every female who can get hold of and ride a trials bike a chance to have a great day out.

I must say, I always thought it strange that there was no Championship for the B route ladies.

The easier route is already there, for the Youth B's so why not have an adult Clublady (or Lady Clubman) championship running at the same time anyway?

I must say, I always thought it strange that there was no Championship for the B route ladies.

The easier route is already there, for the Youth B's so why not have an adult  Clublady (or Lady Clubman) championship running at the same time anyway?

There is a class for the best Lady rider on the B route in the IOW trial.

The big news today is that the trial will now be held at Cheverton Chalk pit, which is near Shorwell and is one of the best place's in the South of England to hold a trial. Lot of rocks and climbs to play with, and the venue for day two of the IOW two day trial in May.

Also competitors may camp over night at Shorwell chalk pit which is a mile up the road and the home of someone called BECKY COOK. ;)

There maybe a practise session organised on the Saturday afternoon, details to follow. :blink:

Food will be avalaible at the trial. :P